Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period

In summary, to find Jupiter's equatorial rotation period when it begins to tear the planet apart, you can set up an inequality for the centrifugal force being greater than the gravitational force and solve for P. Using the values for R and M of Jupiter, this would result in a rotation period of 7.39 minutes. However, this is significantly shorter than Jupiter's current rotational period of 590.5 minutes. If you are unsure about your answer, it may be beneficial to seek other suggestions for solving the problem.
hfenton
How would I find Jupiter's equatorial rotation period when it begins to tear the planet apart?

Is it true that if the centrifugal force is greater than the gravitational force the material can be torn apart?

If this is right, can I just set up an inequality for the centrifugal force > gravitational force

Fg = GM/R^2 Fc = (4(pi^2)R) / P^2

and then just solve for P throughout the inequality...

P > sqrt[ (4(pi^2)R^3)/ GM) where R(Jupiter) = 7.14*10^7 and M (Jupiter) = 1.9*10^7

If I do this, I will get a rotation period of 7.39 minutes. I am wondering if the way I went about the problem is right. As far as Jupiter's current rotational period of 590.5 mins, the period at which it would be torn apart is nearly 80x shorter. Any other suggestions for doing this problem?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sounds reasonable, what's the problem?

I just am never very confident with my answers. Thanks for responding though!

1) What is Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period?

Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period refers to the time it takes for Jupiter to complete one full rotation on its axis at its equator. This is equivalent to one Jupiter day or approximately 9.9 Earth hours.

2) How is Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period measured?

Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period is measured using spacecraft and telescopic observations. These observations track the movement of visible features on Jupiter's surface, such as its Great Red Spot, which can be used to calculate the rotation period.

3) Is Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period the same as its overall rotation period?

No, Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period is not the same as its overall rotation period. Due to its gaseous composition, Jupiter's rotation speed varies at different latitudes. This means that its overall rotation period, or one Jupiter day, is slightly longer than its Equatorial Rotation Period.

4) How does Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period compare to Earth's?

Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period is significantly shorter than Earth's, which has an equatorial rotation period of approximately 24 hours. This is due to the fact that Jupiter is much larger and rotates much faster than Earth.

5) Has Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period changed over time?

While there have been some variations observed in Jupiter's Equatorial Rotation Period, it is believed to have remained relatively stable over time. However, further research and observation is needed to fully understand any potential changes in Jupiter's rotation.