Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a little advice please (on math graduate school)

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    I'm interested in applying to grad school (pure mathematics), however would i be able to do so, with just 10 courses in mathematics (major: Biology, Minor: Math) ?

If so what courses should i take? (topology, analysis, logic,ect.. ??)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2
    You definitely will need to take analysis and algebra.

Seriously, take as much as possible. Pretty much any upper division math class would be considered very helpful

4. Sep 30, 2010 #3
    I'm really greatful to your advice, i really apreciate it.

So basicly, i should take real analysis (I-II-II), and linear algebra (I-II-III) and of course calculus (I-II), and that should be decent preparation for graduate school in mathematics?

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4
    First of all you should check your department's requirements for the minor. Those three things I think would barely be enough to earn a minor. You'd need abstract algebra at least I assume. You'll also need to check some of your prospective grad schools websites for what requirements they have. I assume most would like a major in math..

Any reason you are majoring in biology but want to go to math grad school?

6. Oct 1, 2010 #5

ibc

It's probably very university dependent, however, where I study there are people going from minor math undergraduate degree to pure math graduate, but they surely do more than those analysis and linear algebra courses you mentioned (at least a few of {topology, complex analysis, logic, set theory, advanced courses in algebra\analysis}) and also have to do some "undergraduate completions" in their first graduate year (at the very least all the courses mentioned above)

I join nergu's question: if you want to study pure mathematics, why won't you major in math?

7. Oct 1, 2010 #6
    If you want to do grad school in pure math, then you definitely need a year of math analysis, topology, abstract algebra, ODE, and maybe a few geometry courses (or complex analysis). Check the school you want to go to and see what their requirements for admission are. If you have enough of these classes under your belt already then there is a chance they can admit you contingent on you taking some additional undergraduate courses. Good luck!

PS: I was an applied math masters degree student a few years ago. I did horrible (my ug was in pure math) because probably my heart was in something more applied I think- that is why I am pursuing physics grad school now. Best of luck to you

8. Oct 8, 2010 #7
    thank you !!

9. Oct 8, 2010 #8
    My great passions are problem solving, biology and mathematics.
    I am wishing to pursue a Medical degre and a graduate degree in Mathematics,

and so, a biology degree will allow me to fullfill the required courses for medical school,

It is possible for me to fullfill my pre-med requirements while in the Mathematics program, however, if i major into mathemtics, i want to be at the top of my classes, and so Heavy requirements such as Organic Chemistry and such might be a disadvantage vs. students who are fully concentrated on mathematics.

any more advice would be great!

10. Oct 8, 2010 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Make up your mind about what you want to do. A PhD program is very much a full time job. It will be very difficult to be successful at it if you try and do it "on the side".

11. Oct 9, 2010 #10
    You can try going into the mathematical biology route, like I'm doing right now. However, like any applied field most of it will focus on differential equations, optimization, etc. and less on abstract math, though there are *some* applications to it (or at least I really hope there are, since I want to try to combine those two fields).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook