1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just finished my first Physics exam, Bus braking Problem

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just took the test, but I can't remember the question word for word, it was along these lines though: You are standing on bus. It suddenly brakes what is the force that makes you lean forward?
    A: Kinetic friction of your shoes on the bus floor
    B: Static friction of your shoes on the bus floor
    C: The normal force of the bus floor on you
    D: No Force

2. Relevant equations
    Concept question

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking B or C, I finally chose B, because wouldn't the normal force still be directed upward? I eliminated A, because my feet are not moving, but the static friction is holding me in place, yet I am leaning forward.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    Yes, I would go with static friction. I would assume the "falling foreward" is present because initially there is a decelleration due to the bus stopping, and hence a force is developed by the person on the bus to oppose this. Once the bus is fully stopped, this force may lag behind and hence push one foreward.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your insight! The test was hard, but fair, I can't wait to get the results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook