Just found a ten-year-old can of lima beans

Hmmm, I have a bottle of 1998 Chateauneuf du pape. Should I serve it my guests? (I don't drink wine anymore)

Hmmm, I have a bottle of 1998 Chateauneuf du pape. Should I serve it my guests? (I don't drink wine anymore)
NO, you should send it to me:wink:

Eww - and I thought my 2-year old canned turkey gravy (bought to make then leftover thanksgiving turkey in open faced sandwiches) was bad (and yes -- we did throw out the turkey before even using the yuck-o canned gravy, which is why it's still there!).

I am thinking one of us has some food product in a can or jar that is older than the youngest member at PF.
Now that you come to think of it... having food in my house older than our little E seems wrong... well, other than staples --- things like flour and seasonings don't seem to count (although at one point I had seasonings older than I was when my mother gave me her "spice rack" for college.... the one that she got when she married dad, and some of the spices seemed untouched).

Borek
Mentor
I am thinking one of us has some food product in a can or jar that is older than the youngest member at PF.
I have a small jar of ginger powder that I got from my Dad.

My Dad died back in July 1991, so ginger must be over 18.

It's probably already been said, but I'll just pile on. Everyone will tell you the same thing. Toss them out. If you want a spectrum of opinions, you need to talk about a new can of Lima beans.

I hate lima beans.

turbo
Gold Member
While cleaning out my father-in-laws garage we found a 6 pack of Coors with a note "From about 1970" Needless to say grandpa was not much of a beer drinker!

Need some beer for that capers and lima bean dinner?
An old friend of mine was a drinker - he taught me how to make killer home-brew. He was also a collector, and I'd like to know what happened to that unopened case of Billy Beer in his bar after he died. It might still be kicking around somewhere.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Now that you come to think of it... having food in my house older than our little E seems wrong... well, other than staples --- things like flour and seasonings don't seem to count (although at one point I had seasonings older than I was when my mother gave me her "spice rack" for college.... the one that she got when she married dad, and some of the spices seemed untouched).
I think I can contribute some more than 10 year old spices. Even when I move, those don't get cleared out, because I just grab handfuls from the spice cabinet and toss them into boxes without looking. I KNOW there must be some old spices buried in the cupboard that shouldn't be used anymore (probably not harmful, just flavorless by now). Yes, I think some are from the spice rack my mom gave me when I moved into my first apartment, and they were probably already old then, because I don't think she bought it for me, just gave me something someone gave her as a gift and was just collecting dust. Some of those are spices I just don't use, but never threw out. And then there are those spices you buy for one recipe that you make once a year on special occasions, and even after 10 years, you still have half a bottle left, plus another new bottle because you had to buy them again when you couldn't find the old one buried SOMEWHERE in the pantry.