Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Should I eat them?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I doubt they will kill you, but they can make you leaky.

I would just toss them.

turbo
Gold Member
Should I eat them?
Wow! I have underwear (and T-shirts) that old, but not canned goods. Discard now! The cost of a can of Lima beans is not comparable to the value of your life. Of course, if you were an enemy instead of a friend, I might say "sure"!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Treat yourself...go out and buy some yummy frozen lima beans :biggrin:!

Evo
Mentor
Should I eat them?
:rofl: SIS!! Yes, but wait until I send you my 10 year old capers to go with them.

I would string them and put them on the Christmas tree!

turbo
Gold Member
I would string them and put them on the Christmas tree!
Please don't string them and place them outside for the birds. They might get sick. When I was a kid, we would string popcorn and cranberries to trim our Christmas trees, and when we took down our tree, we would save those garlands to decorate our outside trees. The birds loved it and visited all winter!

You are making something for your coworkers too ... ?

turbo
Gold Member
You are making something for your coworkers too ... ?
Something with Lima beans? The plot sickens.

Evo
Mentor
I can't believe there is such a difference between green lima beans (which taste like a cross between cardboard and sneakers) and dried white lima beans which cook into a velvety, buttery taste and consistency.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Should I eat them?
One should never eat canned lima beans. But, instead of tossing them, pretend you have just bought a new can and put them away for another 10 years. Saves a dollar, same effect.

The only thing ten year old lima beans would go good with is a ten year old can of Spam.:yuck:

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
NO, don't eat them! It doesn't matter how old they are, lima beans should only be used for decoration, never eaten!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think Chi's advice was very practical!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think Chi's advice was very practical!
Just keep in mind that if you put them away for another 10 years, if the can starts to swell, toss it out before it explodes! The only thing worse than eating 10 year old lima beans would be cleaning up exploded older-than-10-year-old lima beans.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So putting them in the canned goods collection box for the needy would be wrong, I take it?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: SIS!! Yes, but wait until I send you my 10 year old capers to go with them.
I am thinking one of us has some food product in a can or jar that is older than the youngest member at PF.

There were documented incidents of canned meat being still fit for consumption after being buried in the permafrost for 75 years.

Sell them on Ebay. With the proceeds, buy two cans and stash them away for 10 years.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While cleaning out my father-in-laws garage we found a 6 pack of Coors with a note "From about 1970" Needless to say grandpa was not much of a beer drinker!

Need some beer for that capers and lima bean dinner?

I didn't think that canned goods perished unless, as TurtleMeister pointed out, the can's integrity is interrupted.

However, I agree with Chi Meson that one ought not eat canned lima beans in the first place.

Last edited:
I ate some uncanned WWII chocolate field rations when I was kid. It didn't taste like chocolate. It must have been 40 years old.

Last edited:
I think you should eat them and post an hour by hour update of how you're feeling. I think that'd be really scientific!