Just got accepted into Colorado State wanna start preping now.

In summary: Although advanced math and physics courses may be more 'difficult' than some engineering courses, if a student enjoys these subjects they will find engineering classes challenging but rewarding. Don't forget the humanities courses, they are just as important as math and physics when it comes to becoming a successful engineer.
92camrysedan
I am a senior at Fort Collins HS who got accepted to Colorado state university. The counsler was legit with me, as I am a undeclared student. Engineering is hard... legitamatly hard. I accidently took HS general physics with NO prerequisets... No chemistry and I was currently in Algebra 2. I managed an 85% and 80% semester 2. Is that decent with no prerequiset classes? It was hard, truley hard, and so is chemistry. But I don't hate these subjects. I acted in front of the counsler like I didn't enjoy math and science. But I had that meeting after bombing a small chem quiz. I am still pretty good I think, and I don't mind doing the work once I get going. Pre Calc A, I got a 94%. Chemistry, 1st semester I got a 93%. Are these good sings?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your grades are decent, but the question is, although you may be good at math and physics, do you like math and physics...do you feel more comfortbale(or as comfortable) with these courses as say history, social studies, english, philosophy, literature, etc?? Only you can answer that...if you want to go into engineering, you have to like math and be able to handle math related courses and problem solving...it is difficult but rewarding...but at the same time, don't forget the humanities courses...there's nothing easy about them, either.

92camrysedan said:
I am a senior at Fort Collins HS who got accepted to Colorado state university. The counsler was legit with me, as I am a undeclared student. Engineering is hard... legitamatly hard. I accidently took HS general physics with NO prerequisets... No chemistry and I was currently in Algebra 2. I managed an 85% and 80% semester 2. Is that decent with no prerequiset classes? It was hard, truley hard, and so is chemistry. But I don't hate these subjects. I acted in front of the counsler like I didn't enjoy math and science. But I had that meeting after bombing a small chem quiz. I am still pretty good I think, and I don't mind doing the work once I get going. Pre Calc A, I got a 94%. Chemistry, 1st semester I got a 93%. Are these good sings?

The only hard part in engineering is keeping your cool when you get long, pointless, dumb tasks (such as labs).

I had crap grades in HS, was way way way behind in math. Now I'm a senior in ME and I'll tell you that the engineering classes are pretty much a joke. The only interesting courses are from physics and math (the upper levels).

I say don't worry, it's going to be a breeze.

Curl said:
The only hard part in engineering is keeping your cool when you get long, pointless, dumb tasks (such as labs).

I had crap grades in HS, was way way way behind in math. Now I'm a senior in ME and I'll tell you that the engineering classes are pretty much a joke. The only interesting courses are from physics and math (the upper levels).

I say don't worry, it's going to be a breeze.
What school are you attending where the Engineering classes are a joke? You may find upper level Physics and Math classes (presumably Modern physics , differential equations, and such) interesting, and these are important as alearning tool and advanced studies, but often not applicable to 3rd and 4th year engineering classes. But I don't see how you can claim that engineering courses are a joke, because, like basic physics, they require much time and hard work (by most) to comprehend.

I go to http://www.washington.edu/" [Broken] school, not exactly a dumb college. No disrespect, but it's ranked higher than the school he's planning on attending.

Most of the kids in the department don't want to hear anything than equations they can plug and chug at. The only classes you will need to "try hard" in comprehending are the upper level physics and math courses, like I said. And guess what, those courses aren't required, I take them for fun. I'm not saying engineering classes pointless, but not "hard". They may take hard work, but there is hardly any intellectual challenge presented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curl said:
I go to http://www.washington.edu/" [Broken] school, not exactly a dumb college. No disrespect, but it's ranked higher than the school he's planning on attending.

Most of the kids in the department don't want to hear anything than equations they can plug and chug at. The only classes you will need to "try hard" in comprehending are the upper level physics and math courses, like I said. And guess what, those courses aren't required, I take them for fun. I'm not saying engineering classes pointless, but not "hard". They may take hard work, but there is hardly any intellectual challenge presented.

Although advanced math and physics courses may be more 'difficult' than some engineering courses, if a student is nonetheless getting good engineering course grades by just 'pluggin' and 'chuggin' numbers into equations, then I think something is wrong with the school, and I'm not just talking your school. I have found over the years that many students getting out of college and landing a job in an engineering firm, have litle no idea of the 'basics' which are required to be a good engineer...maybe its a fault of the computers, where you can just throw in some numbers and get other numbers coming out at the other end, without having a clue as to what is going on. Something is dreadfully wrong if you can just BS your way through math, physics, and engineering, and get good grades.
PS> If you are taking Diffy Q and QM for the fun of it, have you considered changing your major?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say they necessarily get good grades because I honestly don't know, but apparently it's good enough to pass and get through the curriculum. Apparently in other countries it's different, but it works in the US.

I picked ME because I thought it would help me design the things I want to make, but apparently I was wrong. Now I study mostly independently, doing the courses just for the credits.

I agree with Curl that engineering is way overrated as far as difficulty is concerned. I don't have experience with the Canadian and US system, and only know what people back home have told me how it is. So if those two are way different than back home, then disregard what I say. I think they're not, however. While most people say engineering is challenging, and I don't disagree with that at all, people everywhere make it seem like it's the toughest course there is. I know several people who had studied engineering (although I mostly know people who have done mechanical or civil), and they were doing well, despite not standing out in high school. Granted, that may not have represented their capabilities accurately, but I think when you even it all out, you see you don't need to be anything above average to be able to finish engineering. Again, it's hard and probably above average as far as difficulty is concerned, but still, keep it in perspective.

This may seem like a pretty condescending post, but it's not meant to be. I just find it irritating when I see a lot of people (also engineers) posting here and making fun of various Arts studies, when theirs aren't anything to write home about, either.

But since I don't have any personal experience with Engineering, take this for what it's worth, that is, an outsider's observation.

1. What should I do to prepare for attending Colorado State University?

The best way to prepare for attending Colorado State University is to research the school and its programs, familiarize yourself with the campus and resources, and begin organizing your finances for tuition and living expenses. It is also important to start thinking about your academic and career goals and how CSU can help you achieve them.

2. What is the academic culture like at Colorado State University?

Colorado State University has a strong academic culture that values hands-on learning, research opportunities, and a diverse range of programs and majors. The university also prioritizes sustainability, community engagement, and a well-rounded education for its students.

3. How can I get involved in extracurricular activities and clubs at Colorado State University?

There are over 500 student organizations and clubs at Colorado State University, ranging from academic and professional groups to cultural and recreational clubs. You can find a list of these organizations on the CSU website and can attend club fairs and events to get involved.

4. What is the housing situation like at Colorado State University?

Colorado State University offers a variety of housing options for students, including residence halls, on-campus apartments, and off-campus housing. It is recommended to apply for housing early to increase your chances of getting your preferred living arrangement.

5. How can I make the most out of my experience at Colorado State University?

To make the most out of your experience at Colorado State University, it is important to stay engaged and involved in campus activities, take advantage of the resources and support services available, and build relationships with faculty, staff, and fellow students. It is also beneficial to step out of your comfort zone and try new things to fully immerse yourself in the CSU community.

Back