1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just need a confirmation (Force in uniform circular motion)

1. Aug 13, 2006 #1
    I'm a little unsure with my some of my answers here, mainly because it seems too simple. The Questions ask:

A race car driver is driving her car at the record breaking speed of 225 km/h. The first turn on the course is banked at 15 degrees, and the car's mass is 1450 kg.

a) Calculate the radius of curvature for this turn.

v = 225 km/h = 62.5 m/s
    m = 1450 kg
    theta = 15 degrees

Since, v^2 = grtan theta
    Therefore, r = v^2/g tan theta
    = (62.5)^2/(9.8)(tan15)
    = 1487.6 m

b) Calculate the centripetal acceleration of the car.

a(c) = v^2/r
    = (62.5)^2/1487.6
    = 2.6 m/s^2

*Thus far, I feel pretty good about my solutions but here's where my confidence is quickly stripped from me.

c) If the car maintains a circular track around the curve (does not move up or down the bank), what is the magnitude of the force of static friction?

For y:

F(y) = F(n) - F(gy) = 0
    F(n) - F(g)cos15 = 0
    F(n) = mgcos15
    F(n) = 13725.8 N = 1.4*10^4 N

For x:

F(x) = F(f) - F(gx) = 0
    F(f) - F(g)sin15 = 0
    F(f) = mgsin15
    F(f) = 3677.8 N = 3.7*10^3 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the force of static friction is 3.7*10^3.

d) What is the coefficient of static friction necessary to ensure the safety of this turn?

u(s) = F(s)/F(n)
    = 3.7*10^3/1.4*10^4
    = 0.26

Sorry about the size of the question, hoping someone can catch any errors and help to guide me to the correct solution before I send this in. I'm asking alot, any input is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2
    Seems correct to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?