Just starting out in Quantum Physics

In summary, starting out in quantum physics involves understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, and their applications in various fields like computing and cryptography. It also requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to challenge traditional ways of thinking about the physical world. With dedication and persistence, one can navigate the complexities of this fascinating and rapidly advancing field.
Brent_L
Hello, my name is Brent I am very interested in Quantum Physics as well as Astrophysics. Is their anything I should know pointer or tips. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean tips regarding those fields and for that I'll leave it to people who actually know what they are talking about but in case you are asking about the forum, the big thing I'd suggest is reading the rules. They actually matter on this forum, unlike most.

Welcome to the forum.

phinds said:
I assume you mean tips regarding those fields and for that I'll leave it to people who actually know what they are talking about but in case you are asking about the forum, the big thing I'd suggest is reading the rules. They actually matter on this forum, unlike most.

Welcome to the forum.
OK thanks.

What is your background in mathematics and physics?

Is their a requirement per say?

No, but the usefulness of recommendations depends on them being given at the appropriate level.

Brent_L said:
Just FYI, in case you care about correct language, that's "per se".

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

Brent_L said:
phinds said:
Just FYI, in case you care about correct language, that's "per se".

It's also "there" not "their".

Thanks lol

Okay, I think this pointing out of errors is getting a bit pedantic.

Also, to Brent, no problem. :)

introduction to quantum mechanics.
http://www.cns.iisc.ernet.in/NS202_2012/Notes/Absolutely_Small%20(from%20Venkatesh).pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent_L said:
Speaking as someone who does NOT have the adequate academic "requirements", but has still tried to go into the deep end too many times to count, I'd highly recommend a decent background in calculus. It would also be very helpful if you understood at least the basics of density matrices. In the absence of that, you're going to struggle with a lot of the information. Take my word for it. A lot of the concepts are very difficult to wrap your head around "conceptually". You need to understand the math to start out on firm footing.

Good luck Brent. It's a fun ride, even if it gets a little bumpy at times.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. It deals with the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles such as photons and electrons, which do not behave like classical objects and cannot be fully described by the laws of classical physics.

2. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. In classical physics, objects have definite properties such as position and momentum, but in quantum physics, particles behave probabilistically and their properties cannot be precisely determined.

3. What are the main principles of quantum physics?

The main principles of quantum physics include superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously; wave-particle duality, where particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior; and the uncertainty principle, which states that certain properties of particles cannot be known simultaneously with precision.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in cryptography for secure communication. Additionally, quantum physics is being explored for potential applications in quantum computing and quantum teleportation.

5. What is the role of mathematics in quantum physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in quantum physics, as it is used to describe and predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. The equations and principles of quantum mechanics are highly mathematical, and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts is necessary for studying and researching quantum physics.