Just starting out on DC motors and hit a snag

• Engineering
  • Thread starter carolinern
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Motors
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a series d.c. motor and how to calculate the torque developed and operating efficiency. Conservation of energy and equations for power and torque are mentioned as possible solutions to the problem.
carolinern
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the HH forum and use the HH Template
Hi Guys
I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem??
I have just started learning about DC motors and I have hit a wall on how to solve the following problem-

Q.The output of a series d.c. motor when connected to a 230V supply and running at 1320rev/min is 3.8kW. The supply current for this loading is 20.5A.
Calculate the torque developed and the opperating efficiency??

Can anyone explain the equations i need to be looking at, as I thought you needed the armature current and field current to be able to solve this??

Any advice or help is much appreciated

Cas

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this with conservation of energy. Find the input power (easy for DC), find a way to express output power with angular frequency and torque.

carolinern said:
Q.The output of a series d.c. motor when connected to a 230V supply and running at 1320rev/min is 3.8kW. The supply current for this loading is 20.5A.

Calculate the torque developed

Power = torque * angular velocity......(1)

The problem gives you the output power and enough info to calculate the angular velocity. Just take care with the units.

If you have difficulty remembering that equation perhaps remind yourself of the similar equations for linear motion..

Work = force * displacement
Power = work/time
so
power = force * displacement/time
but
displacement/time = velocity
so
Power = force * velocity.........(2)

see the similarity between (1) and (2)?

the operating efficiency?

The problem statement gives enough info to calculate the input power (electrical) and the output power is stated. Efficiency is one divided by the other expressed as a percentage.

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC (direct current) motor is an electrical machine that converts direct current electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator (fixed part) and a rotor (moving part) and uses the principle of electromagnetism to operate.

2. What are the main components of a DC motor?

The main components of a DC motor include a stator, rotor, commutator, brushes, and a power source. The stator contains the permanent magnets or electromagnets that create a magnetic field, while the rotor contains the armature and windings that interact with the magnetic field to produce motion. The commutator and brushes help to switch the direction of current flow and maintain continuous rotation.

3. What is the difference between a DC motor and an AC motor?

The main difference between a DC motor and an AC motor is the type of current they use. DC motors use direct current, while AC motors use alternating current. DC motors are typically simpler in construction and can provide precise speed control, while AC motors are more efficient and can provide higher power outputs.

4. What could be causing a snag in my DC motor?

There are several potential causes for a snag in a DC motor, including faulty wiring, damaged components, lack of lubrication, or incorrect voltage or current being supplied. It is important to carefully troubleshoot and diagnose the issue to determine the root cause and find a solution.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with my DC motor?

To troubleshoot and fix issues with a DC motor, you can start by checking the wiring and connections for any damage or loose connections. You can also test the voltage and current being supplied to the motor to ensure it is within the recommended range. If the issue persists, you may need to replace damaged components or seek assistance from a professional electrician or motor technician.