Just tell me if this is even possible

• Thread starter Mustapha13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, it is possible to find the time and speed at which a tennis ball thrown down a building hits the floor if given the initial speed and length of the building. This can be done using the kinematic motion equations for constant acceleration, with the acceleration in this scenario being 9.8 m/s^2 due to the force of gravity.
Mustapha13

Homework Statement

Let's say that my friend throws a tennis ball down a building.

is it possible for me to find the time at which it hits the floor and at what speed it it is when it hits the floor. If he only tells me the initial speed and length of the building?

2. The attempt at a solution

(according to my thoughts, it seems impossible unless he tells me the time interval or the final speed, idk am i suppose to use the -9.8 acceleration for something?)

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, it is possible. You need the kinematic motion equations for constant acceleration. In this problem, once the ball leaves the thrower's hand, at an initial speed, the ball is now subject only to the force of gravity, thus, it's acceleration must be ____?____.

PhanthomJay said:
yes, it is possible. You need the kinematic motion equations for constant acceleration. In this problem, once the ball leaves the thrower's hand, at an initial speed, the ball is now subject only to the force of gravity, thus, it's acceleration must be ____?____.

9.8 m/s^2

Thanks a lot for the reply .

Last edited:

Related to Just tell me if this is even possible

1. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. Traveling faster than the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy, which is impossible.

2. Can humans ever achieve immortality?

At this point in time, achieving immortality is not possible. While advances in medicine and technology have increased human lifespan, death is a natural and inevitable part of life. However, scientists are continually researching ways to prolong life and improve quality of life for humans.

3. Is it possible to create a perpetual motion machine?

No, a perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical device that would continue to operate without needing any energy input. However, it violates the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Therefore, a perpetual motion machine is not possible.

4. Can we ever achieve time travel?

At this time, time travel is considered impossible according to our current understanding of physics. While some theories, such as the theory of relativity, allow for the possibility of time travel, it would require enormous amounts of energy and is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

5. Will we ever be able to colonize other planets?

It is possible that humans could colonize other planets in the future, but it would require significant advancements in technology and resources. Currently, the challenges of long-term space travel and establishing habitable environments on other planets make this a difficult feat to achieve.