Just want some guidance for my career😅

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rishabh singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    High school student
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 451 views
Rishabh singh
Messages
8
Reaction score
4
TL;DR: I am a great enthusiast of quantum physics and its applications and I want to pursue phd in quantum mechanics so can people here please guide me and suggest some way on how to do it.
And suggest some colleges and guidence on how to get there.


I seek help here for my future and it will be a great help from you people if you spare some time on this.
Kind regards.😄
And sorry for any disturbances.
Currently,I am in 12th standard and this is the last year of my school.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rishabh singh said:
TL;DR: I am a great enthusiast of quantum physics and its applications and I want to pursue phd in quantum mechanics so can people here please guide me and suggest some way on how to do it.
And suggest some colleges and guidence on how to get there.


I seek help here for my future and it will be a great help from you people if you spare some time on this.
Kind regards.😄
And sorry for any disturbances.
Currently,I am in 12th standard and this is the last year of my school.

Right now it's not clear what "you want to pursue a PhD in quantum mechanics" means (e.g., theoretical foundations of quantum mechanics, experimental solid-state research involving quantum phenomena, ...). Regardless, you're a long ways off. The first step is to complete an undergraduate degree, majoring in physics. Your profile states you're in India. Are you planning to study in India, or another country?
 
Can you let us know where you live?
I know Australia well, the US fairly well, and have an OK knowledge of the UK.

In Australia, we now have actual degrees in Quantum Physics eg:
https://www.uts.edu.au/courses/bachelor-of-advanced-science-physics-and-quantum-technology

Personally, though, I would give myself as much flexibility as possible by doing a Bachelor's in a cognate discipline of your choice, e.g., physics, computer science, engineering, information technology, mathematics, chemistry or statistics (IMHO the most flexible is math but being a math graduate I am probably biased) and then an appropriate Master's e.g.:
https://study.uq.edu.au/study-options/programs/master-quantum-technology-5711#overview

The US is similar eg:
https://www.mtsu.edu/program/physics-quantum-science-and-computing-concentration-b-s/

The UK is also similar:
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate-degrees/bsc-physics-with-quantum-technology/

At the master's level:
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/quantum-technology-msc

Any of the above will prepare you for a PhD in whatever area of QM you wish to pursue.

The US has a very interesting doctorate available if you are interested in a cross-disciplinary approach after your master's:

https://www.chapman.edu/scst/graduate/dsci-mpp.aspx

Thanks
Bill
 
Last edited:
I am in India and if it becomes possible for me to have enough scholarship then i can study abroad as my parents' income is not that much.
Now i have to do a bachelors in physics and then masters.
After that i will see which field of quantum mechanics i have to pursue.
Thank you very much @bhobba and @CrysPhys for yous guidance.
Kind regards.
 
Rishabh singh said:
I am in India and if it becomes possible for me to have enough scholarship then i can study abroad as my parents' income is not that much.
Now i have to do a bachelors in physics and then masters.
After that i will see which field of quantum mechanics i have to pursue.
Thank you very much @bhobba and @CrysPhys for yous guidance.
Kind regards.
You're very welcome. Just be aware that education systems vary significantly among different countries. In particular, in the US, you typically enroll in a physics PhD program after you complete your bachelor's degree; you typically do not enroll in a separate master's program first.

Also, even if some universities offer specialized bachelor's or master's degrees in quantum physics/science/technology, approach them with due caution. There are advantages to a curriculum emphasizing a strong foundation in core physics and math; in particular, should your interests change later on, you'll be better prepared to do so than if your curriculum were more narrowly focussed. Also, with respect to future employment, it's better to have a well-established degree than a trendy niche degree.

Good luck in your studies and future career.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rishabh singh
CrysPhys said:
You're very welcome. Just be aware that education systems vary significantly among different countries. In particular, in the US, you typically enroll in a physics PhD program after you complete your bachelor's degree; you typically do not enroll in a separate master's program first.

Also, even if some universities offer specialized bachelor's or master's degrees in quantum physics/science/technology, approach them with due caution. There are advantages to a curriculum emphasizing a strong foundation in core physics and math; in particular, should your interests change later on, you'll be better prepared to do so than if your curriculum were more narrowly focussed. Also, with respect to future employment, it's better to have a well-established degree than a trendy niche degree.

Good luck in your studies and future career.
Yes sir.😁🙇