Seeking some guidance about what to study in College.

In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on what to study in college based on their interests in cosmology, math, computers, and economics, with the ultimate goal of making a lot of money. Suggestions include exploring their interests, considering a PhD in physics and pursuing a career in finance, or studying engineering for a lucrative and rewarding job. The advice is to not worry too much about the future and to pursue what interests them.
udaibothra
Hello Everyone!

I'm still in High School and I guess its a bit early for me to ask such a question but I wanted to be a bit more sound about some things. I'm in the 11th Grade and I'm studying Physics, Chemistry, Math, Computers and English. I'm confused about what study in college.

I'm extremely interested in Cosmology, Maths, Computers and Economics(having studied it for two years and having read countless non-course books side by side.)

I know I have a rather varied range of interests, but my aim, like 'almost' everyones aim is to make money and retire comfortably so I can devote time to my hobbies. What I'm trying to imply by this is that- I want to make a lot of money, possible work on the Wall St.

Can anyone advise me on what to do in college, a degree which is focuses on most of my interests? I know I cannot do everything at once and I may have to make a decision at one point, but if someone could just give me an idea about what is in hold for me in the future.

I ask this question because I am 'completely' blank about the future. I'd be glad to have at least a vague idea of what options are open for me in the future with such interests.

I would also like to make this point clear that not all of Physics appeals to me. It is more of Quantum Physics and Cosmology that awes me.

Any ideas/answers/suggestions will be extremely welcome!

Thank You. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In high school, you're not even exposed to the exciting things in all fields of physics to be able to decide. Right now, you should just enjoy what you're doing, read and learn as much as possible, and explore your interests in science. You have a lot of time to figure out your specialization.

There is a thread on this forum about pursuing a PhD in Physics and then getting into the stock market, or a career in quantitative finance. You should read it to see what perspectives have been offered by more mature, experienced people.

Having said that, if your eventual aim is to make a lot of money fast, the only utility of higher education would be some 'standing' in society and a few lines on your resume. You might be better off (in this case) with a background in business or finance. Physicists are hired in the stockmarket more for their mathematical and computational abilities than their physics research prowess. twofish-quant can tell you more about this, in a better way.

If you like science and math, and also would like to make money and have a comfortable life, I suggest you consider studying engineering. There are many good engineering jobs out there where you are well paid and can contribute to society in a positive way. In my opinion, we have too many people in the finance industry, who don't really make a positive contribution to society. I personally studied electrical engineering and found it to be a lucrative and rewarding career path.

Last edited:
My suggestion is don't worry about it because when you hit your mid-life crisis, you'll end up wanting to change something anyway. Study what interests you, and everything else will fall in place.

Hello there,

It's great to see that you have such a diverse range of interests in Physics, Mathematics, Computers, and Economics. These are all very valuable fields and can lead to successful careers. In terms of what to study in college, I would suggest exploring degree programs in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, and Economics. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that combine these fields, such as computational physics or financial mathematics.

If you are specifically interested in Cosmology, I would recommend looking into programs that offer courses or specializations in this area. You could also consider pursuing a degree in Astrophysics, which combines physics and astronomy and may provide opportunities to study cosmology.

In terms of your goal to make money and potentially work on Wall Street, a degree in Economics or a related field may be a good option for you. However, I would also encourage you to pursue your interests and passions, as this can lead to a fulfilling and successful career.

It's important to keep in mind that your interests may change as you continue your education and gain more experience. So, don't worry too much about making a decision right now. Take the time to explore different subjects and see what truly excites and motivates you. You can also speak with academic advisors and professionals in these fields to gain more insight and guidance.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey and future career. Remember, it's never too early to start thinking about your future, and it's okay to be open to different possibilities. Good luck!

1. What should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major in college, it is important to consider your interests, abilities, career goals, and potential job opportunities in the field. You should also think about the types of courses and academic requirements for the major, as well as any extracurricular activities or internships that may be available to enhance your studies.

2. How do I know if a particular major is right for me?

The best way to determine if a major is right for you is to explore and research different options. Take introductory courses, talk to professors and students in the field, and participate in internships or job shadowing opportunities. You can also take career assessments or meet with a career counselor to help identify your strengths and interests.

3. What majors are in high demand in today's job market?

Some of the most in-demand majors in today's job market include computer science, business, healthcare, engineering, and data analytics. However, it is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as job market demands can change over time.

4. Can I change my major once I have already started college?

Yes, it is possible to change your major in college. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and course requirements. It may also be beneficial to discuss your decision with an academic advisor to ensure a smooth transition.

5. What resources are available to help me decide on a major?

There are many resources available to help you decide on a major, including career centers, academic advisors, professors, and online research tools. You can also attend career fairs, informational sessions, and workshops to learn more about different majors and career paths.