1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Justifying choices of components

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently doing a project involving the build of a switching circuit for an SRM.

I have to choose a variety of components for each stage of the build. For example, I chose an open collector for the interface device, an optocoupler for the isolation device and an IGBT for the switching device.

I have to compare different components and then justify why I picked the one over the other.

3. The attempt at a solution

Each component I picked would be suitable for the application so how do I justify choosing one over the other? Is there anything I should look for in data sheets that give some components an advantage over the other?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

SRM = Switched Reluctance Motor?

I would argue it's not possible to select suitable devices without justifying one over another.

All they are asking is why that component is suitable for the application. Why choose a 10A fuse instead of a 100A fuse? There are lots of IGBT, which one and why? What current does the IGBT have to handle? Voltage? Power dissipation? Gain? Package? Price? Multiple sources?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted