Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kayaker paddling across a harbor

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A kayaker needs to paddle north across a 105 m wide harbor. The tide is going out, creating a tidal current that flows to the east at 1.5 m/s. The kayaker can paddle with a speed of 3.4 m/s.

(a) In which direction should he paddle in order to travel straight across the harbor? (degrees west of north)

(b) How long will it take him to cross? (seconds)

2. Relevant equations

c^2= a^2 + b^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I divided 105m by 3.4 m/s to determine how long it would take to go straight across the harbor. Then I multiplied that number (30.88) by 1.5 m/s to get the distance he would have ended up downstream. 46.32m.

Then, I attempted to set up a right triangle and solve for the angle but that's where I got confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The kayaker will take longer than [30.88] that to cross the harbour, since he/she is not paddling directly towards the opposite side.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A kayaker needs to paddle north across a 105 m wide harbor. The tide is going out, creating a tidal current that flows to the east at 1.5 m/s. The kayaker can paddle with a speed of 3.4 m/s.

(a) In which direction should he paddle in order to travel straight across the harbor? (degrees west of north)

(b) How long will it take him to cross? (seconds)

Then, I attempted to set up a right triangle and solve for the angle but that's where I got confused.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Yes you can use a right triangle to solve the problem.
    This is a vector problem and using a right triangle geometry is one of the methods.

Kayaker speed with direction is one vector.
    The tide speed and direction is another vector.
    You can do operations on this 2 vectors and in this example adding the two vectors.

The sum of the two vectors will result in the kayaker paddling straight across the habour.

5. Sep 15, 2012 #4
    What azizlwl said.

If still stuck post your attempt at the vector diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?