Kepler's Laws, mysterious equation?

• Thread starter Gib Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, Gib Z said the equation "Area/time = Rv" is true for an infinitesimal sector at perihelion and aphelion. However, the equation is not correct for the whole orbit.
Gib Z
Homework Helper
I got a question that depicted the elliptical orbit of a comet over two intervals of the orbit, covering sectors, with the sun at a foci. It is given that the ratio of the "radii of the sectors" are 12:60 = 1:5. It is given the sectors have equal area, what is the ratio of the speeds of the comet at the aphelion to the perihelion.

First of all, yes it would be interesting to know how to solve that. I can't see any direct application of Kepler's laws that would help. Equal areas, so equal time taken, so the ratio of the velocities will just be the ratio of the arc lengths covered, how do we find that out?

Also, on the solutions page, it automatically starts with some equation, " Area = Rv", and using that equation it easily works out the ratio to be 1:5. I am really interested to find out how they got that equation? Is that exact or just an approximation? Is it even correct?

Thanks for helping out guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gib Z said:
Also, on the solutions page, it automatically starts with some equation, " Area = Rv", and using that equation it easily works out the ratio to be 1:5. I am really interested to find out how they got that equation? Is that exact or just an approximation? Is it even correct?

Hi Gib Z! :smile:

I haven't worked out the picture of the main question …:confused:

but the equation "Area/time = Rv" is true for an infinitesimal sector at perihelion and aphelion …

area/time = r(r + ∆r)∆θ/∆t ~ r²dθ/dt = rv. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
area/time = r(r + ∆r)∆θ/∆t ~ r²dθ/dt = rv. :smile:

I'm not sure your equation is correct here. The orbit of the comet is not a circle. Hence in general we cannot say that rdθ/dt = v. What I understand is that in general.

[tex]\vec{v}= \dot{r}\hat{r} + r\dot{\theta}\hat{\theta}[/tex]

However if the comet is at the aphelion or perihelion, your equation is true.

matematikawan said:
However if the comet is at the aphelion or perihelion, your equation is true.
tiny-tim said:
but the equation "Area/time = Rv" is true for an infinitesimal sector at perihelion and aphelion …

Great minds think alike! :biggrin:

1. What are Kepler's Laws?

Kepler's Laws are three scientific principles that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were developed by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the 17th century.

2. What is the first law of Kepler's Laws?

The first law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that planets orbit the sun in elliptical paths with the sun at one of the focal points.

3. What is the second law of Kepler's Laws?

The second law, also known as the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line that connects a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal time intervals. This means that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

4. What is the third law of Kepler's Laws?

The third law, also known as the Harmonic Law, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun. This means that the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer it takes to complete one orbit.

5. What is the mysterious equation in Kepler's Laws?

The mysterious equation in Kepler's Laws is the mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the orbital period and the distance of a planet from the sun. It is known as Kepler's Third Law and is expressed as: T^2 = k*r^3, where T is the orbital period, r is the distance from the sun, and k is a constant value.