1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics ball throwing question

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    hi im having some trouble with the question below, was hoping maybe someone could talk me through it?

A ball is thrown from a point on an incline of 16 degrees with an initial velocity of 19m/s and at an angle of 49 degrees to the incline. How far up the plane will the ball strike measured from its initial position?

so far i have resolved the velocity into its x and y directions

Ux = 8.03m/s
    Uy = 17.22m/s

So - Sy = Uy*t-(0.5gt^2)
    Sx = Ux*t

Now i get stuck with the rest, i have to:

Express the height of the incline, Sp in terms of time, t

Sp = ____ xt

At the point of impact, y = Sp, find t:

t = ____ s

Now find Sx and Sp

Sx = ____ m
    Sp = ____ m

Therefore, the distance up the incline from the point where the ball was released is:

Sball = _____ m

i would appreciate any help people can offer me with this as i understand its not that difficult but just cant grasp it.

thanks les.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't think I'd use time in this problem. Just write equations for the two lines and set them equal to find the impact point. Write an equation for the y=f(x) of the ball as it flies along, and the y=f(x) straight line of the incline.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Another way: let the time of impact equal [tex]t_{0}[/tex]. Then, [tex]y(t_{0}) = v_{0} \sin(65)t_{0} - \frac{1}{2}gt_{0}^2[/tex]. Further on, from the geometry of the incline, you can conclude [tex]y(t_{0})=x(t_{0})\tan(16) = v_{0}\cos(65)t_{0} \tan(16)[/tex]. Solve for [tex]t_{0}[/tex], the rest is trivial.

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    thanks for your input so far mate, the only problem is i have to answer all the parts above, basically do it in the way they have set it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?