1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in Two Dimension-Niagra falls

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    Kinematics in Two Dimension-Niagra falls(not solved)

1. Suppose the water at the top of Niagra falls has a horizontal speed of 2.7 m/s just before it cascades over the edge of the falls. At what vertical distance below the edge does the velocity vector of the water point downward at a 75 degree angle below the horizontal.

3. Ok so i know the intial and final velocity in the x direction is equal to 2.7m/s with a 0 acceleration.. when it falls I assume that its initial velocity in the y direction is 0?(let me know if im wrong here), and the acceleration to that is 9.8...now i need to figure out the time to get my Vfy, but I think i need My final position in order to calculate time. please help.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you'd assume the y component of velocity is zero as it drops initially. What is key here is the resultant velocity vector being at 75 degrees below horizontal. You know the x component so you need to find the y component that will give that angle to the resultant. Then you can find the vertical distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?