Kinematics[polar coordinate] concept problem

In summary, The conversation is about finding the formula for V(\theta) and dealing with a possible contradiction. The formula given is V(\theta) = \omega R(\theta), where V(\theta) is the velocity, \omega is the angular velocity, and R(\theta) is the distance of the car to the vertical shift. It is noted that the horizontal component of the velocity is Vr = r*omega while the vertical component is Vh = dh/dt = -2sin(2theta)*d(theta)/dt, and the resultant of these components gives the car's velocity. However, there is confusion about the inclusion of h in the formula and its relation to theta. It is explained that h = cos(
sunumen
http://p14.freep.cn/p.aspx?u=v20_p14_p_0711201047589252_0.jpg

Formula:
http://freep.cn/p.aspx?u=v20__p_0711201059233972_0.jpg

1)I need to find out V([tex]\theta[/tex]). But I remember that r[tex]\theta[/tex]<dot>
= [tex]\omega[/tex] = V([tex]\theta[/tex])

Something seems like contradict
Where my concept wrong?
How should I deal with this problem??
I guess that the h should be included ~but why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The car has two velocity components. The horizontal component Vr = r*omega. It is given that h = cos(2theta) + 1. Therefore vertical component of the velocity Vh = dh/dt = -2sin(2theta)*d(theta)/dt.
The resultant of Vr and Vh gives the velocity of the car.

[tex]v(\theta)=\omega R(\theta)[/tex]

Distance of car to vertical shift is always changing and equals [tex]R(\theta)[/tex]

This variation is along the radius and hence it does not affect the theta component of the velocity.

But theta is on x-y plane

[tex]\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

Last edited:
Distance of car to vertical shift is always changing and equals Rcos(phy) This velocity does not contribute to V(theta)

1. What is polar coordinate in kinematics?

Polar coordinates in kinematics refer to a type of coordinate system where the position of an object is described using two quantities: the radial distance from a fixed point (called the origin) and the angle between the radial distance and a fixed reference direction.

2. How is polar coordinate different from Cartesian coordinate in kinematics?

Polar coordinates are different from Cartesian coordinates in that they use a different set of variables to describe the position of an object. While Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates, polar coordinates use the radial distance and angle measurements.

3. What is the equation for converting polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

The conversion from polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y) is given by the following equations:

x = r * cos(θ)

y = r * sin(θ)

4. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration in polar coordinate?

To calculate velocity and acceleration in polar coordinate, you can use the following equations:

Velocity (v) = (dr/dt) * er + (r*dθ/dt) * eθ

Acceleration (a) = [(d^2r/dt^2) - r*(dθ/dt)^2] * er + [(r*d^2θ/dt^2) + 2*(dr/dt)*(dθ/dt)] * eθ

5. Can polar coordinate be used to describe circular motion?

Yes, polar coordinates are often used to describe circular motion since they are well-suited for describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.