1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Problem on a particle

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The motion of a human body through space can be modeled as the motion of a particle at the body's center of mass. The components of the position of an athlete's center of mass from the beginning to the end of a certain jump are described by the following two equations, where t is the time at which the athlete lands after taking off at t = 0.
    xf = 0 + (10.6 m/s)(cos 18.5°)t
    0.230 m = 0.600 m + 0 + (10.6 m/s)(sin 18.5°)t - (9.80 m/s2)t2

Identify his vector position.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to solve for t in the second equation and got a value of 0.783s, after which I put this value into the first equation and solve for x and got 7.87m for the i direction. I did not really know what to put in for the displacement along the y-axis.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did this equation come from and what does it mean?

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    it was just given. Anyway i got the answer. they were asking for the initial displacement. thanks for your help. is there anyway to close this thread?

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No closure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook