Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinematics Problem, seemingly missing information

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.36 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.18 km with an average velocity of 2.05 m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.699 m/s due east. How far east did she walk (in kilometers)?

2. Relevant equations

avg. v = distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution

the closest i was able to get to a solution was

1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 + time of second part of walk)

as far as i can tell, there doesn't seem to be enough information for me to figure out the question.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Rewrigh the above step as
    1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 +
    distance of second part of walk/0.699) and solve the equation for distance of the second part of walk.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You need to remember that velocity is a vector, and that Avg velocity in this case is total displacement from the start - not total distance - divided by the total time.

The eastward walk after the westward should be treated as minus not plus, even though its contribution to total time will be plus.

[tex]1.36 = \frac{5180 - Dist}{\frac{5180}{2.05} + \frac{Dist}{.699}}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  5. Sep 1, 2008 #4
    thanks for the help guys

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook