1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Problem, seemingly missing information

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.36 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.18 km with an average velocity of 2.05 m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.699 m/s due east. How far east did she walk (in kilometers)?

2. Relevant equations

avg. v = distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution

the closest i was able to get to a solution was

1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 + time of second part of walk)

as far as i can tell, there doesn't seem to be enough information for me to figure out the question.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Rewrigh the above step as
    1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 +
    distance of second part of walk/0.699) and solve the equation for distance of the second part of walk.
  4. Sep 1, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

You need to remember that velocity is a vector, and that Avg velocity in this case is total displacement from the start - not total distance - divided by the total time.

The eastward walk after the westward should be treated as minus not plus, even though its contribution to total time will be plus.

[tex]1.36 = \frac{5180 - Dist}{\frac{5180}{2.05} + \frac{Dist}{.699}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  5. Sep 1, 2008 #4
    thanks for the help guys
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?