New Velocity/Distance Question 1/25

In summary, a backpacker traveled with an average velocity of 1.44 m/s due west to reach her destination. She first hiked with an average velocity of 3.25 m/s due west for 5.48 km, then turned around and hiked with an average velocity of 0.683 m/s due east. To find the distance she walked east, we can use the formula v = d/t and solve for d, since we know the average velocities and time for both trips. This will give us the distance she walked east, which is the same as the distance she walked west.
ilh

Homework Statement

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.44 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.48 km with an average velocity of 3.25 m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.683 m/s due east. How far east did she walk (in kilometers)?

Homework Equations

v1 = 3.25 m/s west
d1= 5480 m
t1= 1686

v2 = 0.638 m/s east
d2 = ?
t2= ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to plug in my numbers into the formula but I do not know how to derive second time or distance. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ilh said:

Homework Statement

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.44 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.48 km with an average velocity of 3.25 m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.683 m/s due east. How far east did she walk (in kilometers)?

Homework Equations

v1 = 3.25 m/s west
d1= 5480 m
t1= 1686

v2 = 0.638 m/s east
d2 = ?
t2= ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to plug in my numbers into the formula but I do not know how to derive second time or distance. Please help.
What is the formula for average velocity?

PhanthomJay said:
What is the formula for average velocity?
V = D/T

ilh said:
I do not know how to derive second time or distance.
You successfully found t1 by an equation. You have two more such equations available: one for the return trip and one for the trip as a whole. You have two unknowns.

ilh said:
V = D/T
But what does D represent when finding average velocity?and T?

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How do you convert units for velocity?

To convert units for velocity, you can use the conversion factor of 1 meter per second (m/s) = 2.2369 miles per hour (mph).

3. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point.

4. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only includes magnitude.

5. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing. The direction of the acceleration will determine how the velocity changes.