Kinematics problem two stones falling one with velocity one at rest

In summary, The conversation is about a problem involving two stones being dropped from the same point on a cliff. One stone is dropped from rest while the other is thrown downwards at a speed of 11 m/s. The question is to find the height of the cliff. The conversation includes discussions about which equations to use and how to set them up, as well as some confusion about the problem itself. Eventually, the question is clarified and the answer is found to be approximately 128.6 meters.
bark00
hi please can sum one help me,

a stone is dropped from he top of a cliiff at rest another stone it thrown downwards from the same point at 11ms-1. The two stones land at the same time, what is the height of the cliff,:frown:

how do u work this out i have no idea,:cry:

thankyou in advance

:smile: bark00:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Which equations do you think you're supposed to use?

thankyou for helping me,

I am not sure,
ive tried using combinations of v=u+at and s=1/2 (u+v)t but i don't know where to begin.

bark00 said:
thankyou for helping me,
im not sure,
ive tried using combinations of v=u+at and s=1/2 (u+v)t but i don't know where to begin.

This is a gravity problem...Can you set up the equations for both velocity and position in the horizontal (x) and vertical (y) direction ?

ok, before actually giving specific information, i suggst you read this tutorial

The second formula you gave is not known to me. Are you sure of it ?

Are you sure this is the question?
So you release one stone from rest and you throw the other one vertically down at 11 m/s from the same cliff and they land omn the ground at the same time? How's that possible?

Either I misunderstood the question, you copied it wrong or the height is zero and there would be no cliff.

hi thankyou all for the help i think i go it now i got the awnser as 128.6 metres approx

sorry missed out second one was trown a second later.

marlon said:
The second formula you gave is not known to me. Are you sure of it ?

The second formula is equivalent to [tex] s = V_{avg}t [/tex] for constant acceleration.

What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the key variables in a kinematics problem?

The key variables in a kinematics problem are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

How do you solve a kinematics problem with two objects falling at different velocities?

To solve a kinematics problem with two objects falling at different velocities, you will need to use the equations of motion to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of each object at a given time. You can then compare the results to determine which object will hit the ground first.

Does the mass of the objects affect their acceleration in a kinematics problem?

No, in a kinematics problem, the mass of the objects does not affect their acceleration. Acceleration is solely determined by the gravitational force acting on the objects, which is the same for all objects in a given environment.

How can you determine the final velocity of a falling object in a kinematics problem?

The final velocity of a falling object can be determined by using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which can be 0 for an object at rest), a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.