Kinematics Question (two objects thrown up)

• Thread starter Kyleman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the question is asking for the time at which the stone catches up with the ball after being thrown upward one second later. To solve this, the equations of motion can be used, with the stone's time being represented as t2 and the ball's time as t1. By substituting t1 with t2+1, the equation can be solved for t2. In this case, algebraic errors were made, but once corrected, the final equation simplifies to t=5 seconds.
Kyleman
I'm sure this is an easy question but I just can't seem to understand which equations I need to use. A ball is thrown vertically upward with an initial speed of 11m/s. One second later, a stone is thrown veritcally upward with an initial speed of 25 m/s. Find the time it takes the stone to to catch up with the ball.

So right now I have for the ball: a= -9.80 m/s^2 initial V=11m/s initial y=0 t=t2-1 and for the stone a=-9.80m/s^2 initial V=25m/s initial y=0 t=?

So the way I was thinking is that the question is asking at what time the displacements are equal so I thought the equation I am supposed to use is (V^2-iV^2)/2a=(V^2-iV^2)/2a and solve for the V. This doesn't seem to work. Am I on the right track or just totally way off base? Any help or hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering that you have initial velocities, accelerations and a relation between time taken, how about the second equation of motion?

the movement 2 events equivalent displacement

s1 = u1t1 + (1/2)gt12
s2 = u2t2 + (1/2)gt22

s1 = s2

u1t1 + (1/2)gt12 = u2t2 + (1/2)gt22

but substitute t1 by t2+1
(find t2) time of the second ball moving

DAKONG said:
the movement 2 events equivalent displacement

s1 = u1t1 + (1/2)gt12
s2 = u2t2 + (1/2)gt22

s1 = s2

but substitute t1 by t2+1
(find t2) time of the second ball moving

Could you tell me why it is t2+1 instead of t1+1? I'm just thinking that because the stone is thrown up one second later. As in ball=t stone=t+1 ? are you saying it's the other way around?

Could you tell me why it is t2+1 instead of t1+1?

t2=stone's time
t1=ball's time

Because however long the stone has been flying (t2), the ball has been flying for one second longer (t1=t2+1).
If you prefer, you could also say that no matter how long the ball has been in the air (t1), the stone has been in the air one second less (t2=t1-1)

mbrmbrg said:
t2=stone's time
t1=ball's time

Because however long the stone has been flying (t2), the ball has been flying for one second longer (t1=t2+1).
If you prefer, you could also say that no matter how long the ball has been in the air (t1), the stone has been in the air one second less (t2=t1-1)

I get a negative value for t if I do this and a positive value the other way.. is my algebra just off? Thanks for the help.

I would assume that yes, your algebra is off. But if you show what you did, you'll probably get a more precise and accurate answer.

so much for getting an answer on this stuff eh? just a bunch of posts to show how great they are at physics and that you arent

I'm still having problems with this question where do i go from

u1=11m/s
u2=25m/s
s1=s2
t1=(t2+1)

(11m/s)(t2+1)+(4.9m/s2)(t2+1)2=(25m/s)(t2+1)+(4.9m/s2)(t2+1)2

bfolster16 said:
I'm still having problems with this question where do i go from

u1=11m/s
u2=25m/s
s1=s2
t1=(t2+1)

(11m/s)(t2+1)+(4.9m/s2)(t2+1)2=(25m/s)(t2+1)+(4.9m/s2)(t2+1)2

math is wrong you only insert the (t2+1) onto one side of the equation..
But (t1-1) works better also our g is - because we are throwing the ball against gravity

(11m/s)(t1)+(-4.9m/s2)(t1)2=(25m/s)(t1-1)+(-4.9m/s2)(t1-1)2
This is now corrected^^^
and you just FOIL out

11t+(-4.9t2)=25t-25+(-4.9t2)+9.8t+4.9
cancel (-4.9t2) because its on both sides and simplify for t

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 on Earth, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the ground.

3. How do you calculate the final velocity of an object thrown up?

The final velocity of an object thrown up can be calculated using the formula vf = v0 + at, where vf is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, while distance refers to the total amount of ground covered by an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.

5. How can you calculate the time of flight for an object thrown up?

The time of flight for an object thrown up can be calculated using the formula t = 2v0/g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that the object is thrown from ground level and lands at the same height.