1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy around an axis - two methods?

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find the kinetic energy of the total system; b has mass 2m and a has mass m. They rotate around the y-axis and and through the origin (0,0).

There's two ways of finding the kinetic energy of the system around the y-axis.

1) I find moment of inertia for each particle around the y-axis (and through the origin) and add - so it's 2*m*r^2+9*m*r^2 = 11*m*r^2. Then I use this in K = ½*I*w^2.

2) I find the center of mass: r_cm = (2*m*r+m*3*r)/(3m) = (5/3)r. I use this in I = m*r^2 and then use K = ½*I*w^2.

#2 doesn't work - why?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    Wait a minute.. when I use #2, I find the moment of inertia I_cm, not I_y, right?

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    I have another question.

If I want to find the kinetic energy, I can do it like this:

K = ½*I_total*w^2, where w^2 = v^2/r^2 - what radius are we talking about here? Is it the distance from center of mass to the point on the axis, on which they are turning?

Or can I only use K = ½*I_single*v^2/r^2 when looking at the particles individually, and then add the two energies? Here r is the perpendicular distance to the axis.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

When analyzing rotation of an extended body, you can't just replace the body by a point mass at its center of mass. (Imagine a body rotating about an axis through its center of mass. It has some rotational inertia. But replace it by a point mass at that point and it has none.)

r is always the perpendicular distance to the axis. In the first case, for some reason you aren't given w but have the speed of some point, so you use that point's distance from the axis to calculate w.

6. Nov 21, 2007 #5
    Ok, so I can't find the kinetic energy of the total system by using

K = ½ * I_{total} * v^2/r^2? If I use this equation, I have to find it for each particle, and then add it?

My problem here is: In "K = ½ * I_{total} * v^2/r^2", what is r for the total system?

7. Nov 21, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What you want to use is:
    [tex] K = 1/2 I_{total} \omega^2[/tex]

How you find [itex]\omega[/itex] depends on what you're given.

If you happen to have the speed of one particular point of the rotating system, you can use it to find omega. r would not be for "the total system", but just for that particular point.

8. Nov 21, 2007 #7
    Ok, I still don't believe my question has been answered.

If I want to calculate the kinetic energy of the total system, I do like this:

K_total = ½*I_a*w_a + ½*I_b*w_b

The total moment of inertia is 11*m*r^2, and we call this I_total. The total kinetic energy, K_total, can also be found as

K_total = ½*I_total*w_system.

In w_system, what is the distance r? That is my question.

9. Nov 21, 2007 #8
    Ok, when reading your replies, my question has been answered.

Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?