Kinetic Theory - A gas mixture effuses through a hole, find the pressure change

In summary: Isn't that what the proportions say? ##700 H_2## to 1 ##HD## atom - so there is more ##H_2##?Please see my edit to post 8.I think post 6 has it right.
physconomic
Homework Statement
So if you have a gas that is a combination of H##_2## and HD (hydrogen-hydrogen and hydrogen-deuterium) in the proportion of 7000:1, and it effuses through a hole at constant temp into a vacuum whereby the proportion changes to 700:1, what factor would the pressure have changed?
Relevant Equations
Daltons law

##p = n_1 K_B T##
Effusion rate: ##\frac{1}{4} n \bar{v}##
So I know Dalton's law as stated above which I think is applicable in this question. Then I know the effusion rate is ##\frac{1}{4} n \bar{v}##, and from this we can make a differential for the time evolution of the number density of the gas in the container which is:

##\frac{dn}{dt} = \frac{A}{\phi} = \frac{A}{4}n \bar{v}##

Therefore: ##\frac{dn}{n} = \frac{A\bar{v}}{4}dt##

As ##n = \frac{n_0}{v}##, then the solutions must be:

##n = n_0 e^{-\frac{At}{4}n}## for each of H##_2## and HD

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this, or how to link this to get a change in the factor of the pressure in the vessel?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful with notation; you seem to be confusing volume and velocity with your v's, and n and N0 do not have the same dimensions as your last equation implies.

How does the effusion rate vary with the molecular weight? Can you get an expression for n(t) for each gas and proceed from there?

Likes physconomic
mjc123 said:
Be careful with notation; you seem to be confusing volume and velocity with your v's, and n and N0 do not have the same dimensions as your last equation implies.

How does the effusion rate vary with the molecular weight? Can you get an expression for n(t) for each gas and proceed from there?

Hi sorry about that I've edited the original post because I accidentally capitalised a few letters.

From Graham's law, ##\frac{\phi_1}{\phi_2} = \sqrt{\frac{M_2}{M_1}}##

And then ##n = n_0 e^{-\frac{At}{4}}\bar{v}## for each gas?

And what is v bar (in terms of M)?

Likes physconomic
mjc123 said:
And what is v bar (in terms of M)?

Wouldn't it just be ##\bar{v} = \sqrt{\frac{8K_B T}{\pi M}}## as it obeys the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

Yes. So as you want to compare the two gases, which only differ in their molecular weight, simplify it to
n = n0e-kt/√M where k is a constant you don't need to evaluate.

Likes Charles Link and physconomic
mjc123 said:
Yes. So as you want to compare the two gases, which only differ in their molecular weight, simplify it to
n = n0e-kt/√M where k is a constant you don't need to evaluate.
Okay, so then do I evaluate this equation for both ##H_2## and HD each? I don't understand what I would put for ##n_0## and n for each one.

I don't know that the proportions that are given in the OP are valid. More ## H_2 ## than ## HD ## will show up in what effuses through. Perhaps I am missing something, but it doesn't look right to me.
Edit: Oh, I think I see it=the proportion in the original container changes to 700:1.

Likes physconomic
Charles Link said:
I don't know that the proportions that are given in the OP are valid. More ## H_2 ## than ## HD ## will show up in what effuses through. Perhaps I am missing something, but it doesn't look right to me.

Isn't that what the proportions say? ##700 H_2## to 1 ##HD## atom - so there is more ##H_2##?

I think post 6 has it right. To add some detail: ## n_1=n_{10}e^{-kt/\sqrt{2}} ##, and ## n_2=n_{20}e^{-kt/\sqrt{3}} ##.

There is then enough info to solve for ## kt ##, and to get the final pressure in terms of the initial pressure. Note that the pressure of the ## HD ## can be ignored for this last pressure calculation.

1. What is the Kinetic Theory?

The Kinetic Theory is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of gases by describing the motion of their particles.

2. How does a gas mixture effuse through a hole?

A gas mixture effuses through a hole due to the random motion of its particles. The particles move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, resulting in the gas mixture passing through the hole.

3. What factors affect the pressure change in a gas mixture during effusion?

The pressure change in a gas mixture during effusion is affected by the size of the hole, the temperature of the gas, and the molar mass of the particles in the mixture. A smaller hole, higher temperature, and lower molar mass will result in a greater pressure change.

4. How can the pressure change during effusion be calculated?

The pressure change during effusion can be calculated using the Graham's Law of Effusion, which states that the rate of effusion is inversely proportional to the square root of the molar mass of the gas particles. This can be used to calculate the pressure change using the ideal gas law.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the Kinetic Theory and effusion?

Understanding the Kinetic Theory and effusion is important in various industries such as chemical engineering, where it is used to design and optimize gas separation processes. It is also used in the production of gases for medical and industrial purposes, as well as in the development of new technologies such as fuel cells and gas sensors.