1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kitchen Counter Moisture Mystery

1. Apr 13, 2017 #1
    I have noticed a phenomenon I cannot explain in my kitchen. Whenever I place a warm object on the granite counter [e.g. plate from microwave], when I remove the object, the counter is covered with moisture where the object was. I'm guessing it is condensing from the air due to the temp difference, but this seems unlikey since there would be so little air trapped below the object.
    Yes, this is trivial, but it's driving me to madness.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2
    I'm guessing the food you microwaved is fairly moist, and when it is heated it evaporates a lot of water. The water condenses on the cooler counter.

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes - and possibly hotter than the cooking container. That could cause condensation on the container's outer surface during the few minute's cooking time which would be lost to the air and condense on the even colder granite top after it's taken out of the oven.
    Edit: If there is a wet ring round the base of the dish, that could well be due to condensation that occurred inside the oven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted