Klein gordan equation in electromagnetic potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Klein-Gordon equation for a free particle and in an electromagnetic field. The solution for the free particle includes the term mc^2, while the solution for the particle in an electromagnetic field does not. To prove the equivalence between the Schrodinger equation and the Klein-Gordon equation, one can do the inverse substitution for the momentum operator. For a spinless particle in a central Coulomb field, the Klein-Gordon equation has limited use, but it was used in a thesis to measure the pi-minus mass.
sp105
Its troubling me a lot that when we start solvingK.G. equation for a free particle we assume energy as a sum of nonrelativistic energy and mc2. but when it is tried to solve the equation for a particle in electromagnetic field we solve it without taking into account the term mc^2. for reference you may go through the book Quantum Mechanics By Schiff

Physics news on Phys.org
and for us who does not have that book which is over 40y old?

the people who don't have the book may refer to any book of quantum mechanics that contains relativistic quantum mechanics. and especially klein gordan eqn and its application to particle in electromagnetic potential

sp105 said:
the people who don't have the book may refer to any book of quantum mechanics that contains relativistic quantum mechanics. and especially klein gordan eqn and its application to particle in electromagnetic potential

I have solved the KG equation for a charged particle in Coulomb potential (klein gordon hydrogenic-atom), and I have no Idea what you are talking about regarding that procedure presented in original post of yours. ...

when we solve the K.G eqn for the free particle we assume E'=E+mc^2 where E is very small as compared to the second term and is the nonrelativistic energy soln
the result so obtained is not used to solve the K.G. eqn for particle in potential
but wee replace p by p-eA/c and so on thereafter for the soln of the gotten eqn is assumed as exp of -iEt/h where that second term has been gone which was greater than E

Eh when I solved KG for free particle I just solved it, no such considerations or whatever. Can you tell us what the solutions obtained were?

and for particle in EM field, the ansatz
[tex]\Psi (t.\vec{r}\,) = \psi (\vec{r} \,) e^{iEt/\hbar}[/tex]
is pretty standard to start with.

And isn't it called Klein-Gordon ?

Last edited:
its the right thing that we solve KG eqn for particle in em field with the solution you have mentioned. but for free particle one more term with the solution for em field is added in the exponential and it is mc2. and the solution we got is the relativistic energy eqn.

the free particle solution is, for positive frequency solutions:

[tex]f^{(+)}_p = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2E(2\pi\hbar)^3}}e^{-i(Et-\vec{p}\cdot\vec{r})}[/tex]

In both cases, in this one and in my post #6, E is the relativistic energy.

It is the same plane wave like solution as for non relativistic case, except for different normalization and that E now is the relativistic energy.

I.e. solving the KG equation for the C-potential, (A^\mu = (V(r),0)

one get's that E_ground state = m(1-alpha^2/2) {+ higher order terms}

so mass is included and this is indeed a relativistic expression for energy.

So we solve it by saying that E is just a number, we don't care what it is, we are to FIND the energy.

a klein gordan equation may reduces to schrodinger equation. how it can be proved

separate it into two equations, in each do the non relativistic limit (m -> infinity)

sorry please elaborate the answer
i am not able to understand what do you want to say

sp105 said:
sorry please elaborate the answer
i am not able to understand what do you want to say

KG is 2nd order differential equation, separate it into two differential equations of first order. Then in each of them do the non relativistic limit, which is mass -> infinity.

How difficult is that to understand?

Why do you ask this?

This is a good site if you need something else than your "any book that contains relativistic quantum mechanics"

http://www.phys.uAlberta.ca/~gingrich/phys512/latex2html/node20.html

a good book on relativistic quantum should also mention non relativistic limits!

Last edited by a moderator:
the schroedinger eqn of equivalance of klein gorgdan eqn in your prescribed site has been derived from KG equation in EM field
what bout its relevance in case of free particle case
will you prefer some book of relativistic quantum mechanics to me
I will be surely thankful to you

sp105 said:
the schroedinger eqn of equivalance of klein gorgdan eqn in your prescribed site has been derived from KG equation in EM field
what bout its relevance in case of free particle case
will you prefer some book of relativistic quantum mechanics to me
I will be surely thankful to you

So you don't think it is a trivial task to show it for the free particle case if you are given how to do it for EM-interactions? Come on ... it is trivial, just do the inverse substitution for momentum operator.

As you know, to go from free to EM equation, one substitute p to p + Em_potential:

[tex]i\partial _\mu \rightarrow i\partial _\mu + eA_\mu[/tex]

now do the inverse substitution.

Or, just say, "the electromagnetic potential = 0" ...

The relativistic K. G. equation for a spinless particle in a central Coulomb field has little use for hydrogen-like atoms, because electrons have spin. Except for negative pions in atomic orbits. My thesis, about 45 years ago, was to measure the pi-minus mass using pionic x-rays from pions in 4F - 3D transitions in titanium using Bragg diffraction in a quartz crystal spectrometer. I used the K. G. solution in Schiff Quantum Mechanics (second edition, 1955), page 321 -322. I carried out Schiff's expansion (eqs 42.16 -.21) to the next order in Z alpha. The biggest correction, other than the Uehling integral for vacuum polarization, was the relativistic correction for the reduced mass. My measurement is still in agreement with modern measurements of the pi minus mass, which still use pionic atom measurements.

1. What is the Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential?

The Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a spinless particle in the presence of an external electromagnetic field. It is a second-order differential equation that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

2. What are the applications of the Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential?

The Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential has various applications in theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the study of relativistic charged particles and the behavior of particles in an electromagnetic field.

3. How does the Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential differ from the Schrodinger equation?

The Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential is a relativistic wave equation, while the Schrodinger equation is non-relativistic. This means that the Klein Gordon equation takes into account the principles of special relativity, while the Schrodinger equation does not. Additionally, the Klein Gordon equation is a second-order differential equation, while the Schrodinger equation is a first-order differential equation.

4. What is the significance of the electromagnetic potential in the Klein Gordon equation?

The electromagnetic potential in the Klein Gordon equation represents the interaction between the particle and the external electromagnetic field. It allows for the calculation of the particle's energy and momentum, and it also affects the propagation of the particle's wave function.

5. Are there any limitations to the Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential?

Like any other mathematical model, the Klein Gordon equation in electromagnetic potential has its limitations. It does not account for the spin of particles, and it also does not accurately describe the behavior of particles with strong interactions. Additionally, it predicts the existence of negative energy states, which goes against the principles of quantum mechanics.