Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Klein Gordon ret. Greens function on closed form

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    In this note (http://sgovindarajan.wdfiles.com/local--files/serc2009/greenfunction.pdf) the Klein-Gordon retarded green function is derived on the form

$$G_{ret}(x − x′) = \theta(t − t') \int \frac{d^3 \vec k}{(2\pi)^3 \omega_k} \sin \omega_k (t − t′) e^{i \vec{k}\cdot (\vec x - \vec x')}$$

where ##\omega_k = \sqrt{\vec{k}^2 + m^2}##. The author then gives an exercise to carry out the rest of the integration and express the Greens function on closed form. But I do not see how to carry the integration out due to the dependence of ##\omega_k## on ##\vec k^2##. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this might be solved, or alternatively know where I can find a full derivation?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to convert to spherical coordinates in momentum space. Then you can do it. It ends up with Bessel functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook