Kleppner's and french's mechanics, are there any other challenging books?

In summary, the conversation revolves around tough books on Newtonian and relativity mechanics, specifically mentioning Daniel Kleppner's "Introduction to Mechanics" and French's two volumes of the MIT series. The speaker expresses disappointment in not having these books in their library and asks for alternative books with challenging problems. Another person suggests Irodov's problem book and mentions that Kleppner's book has answers to some problems at the end. The speaker expresses gratitude and mentions hoping to borrow Kleppner's book from their brother.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
are there other tough Newtonian & relativity mechanics books besides daniel kleppner's intro to mechanics and french's two volumes of mit series?
i mean with respect to the problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
no other books are as tough as those?
it's really upsetting that i don't have those in my library.:grumpy:

You will not, in my humble opinion, find any book better than Kleppner and Kolenkow's "An Introduction To Mechanics."

Are there any solutions to problems in the back of these books?

Well an excellent problem book is Irodov's :cool:

gokugreene said:
Are there any solutions to problems in the back of these books?
Many of the problems in K&K include answers at the end of the problem so it is easy to check your work.

your replies are appreciated.
at the moment, my only hope to take a chance to glance at kleppner's book is with my brother.
i hope he could find it, although with my luck he wo'nt.

thanks, anyway.

1. What is the difference between Kleppner's and French's Mechanics?

Kleppner's Mechanics is a classic textbook on the principles of classical mechanics, while French's Mechanics is a more modern and updated version of the same subject. French's Mechanics includes additional topics and examples that reflect advances in the field since Kleppner's original publication.

2. Are Kleppner's and French's Mechanics suitable for beginners?

Both Kleppner's and French's Mechanics are generally considered introductory textbooks for students studying classical mechanics. They provide a solid foundation in the subject and are suitable for beginners.

3. What makes Kleppner's and French's Mechanics challenging?

Kleppner's and French's Mechanics cover a broad range of topics in classical mechanics, including kinematics, dynamics, energy, and momentum. They also require a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. As such, the textbooks can be challenging for some students.

4. Are there any other challenging books on classical mechanics?

Yes, there are many other challenging books on classical mechanics, such as "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein and "Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics" by Walter Greiner. These books go into more depth and may be more suitable for advanced students or researchers.

5. How can I best approach studying from Kleppner's and French's Mechanics?

To get the most out of Kleppner's and French's Mechanics, it is recommended to read through the material carefully and work through all the examples and practice problems. It is also helpful to supplement the textbooks with additional resources, such as lecture notes or online tutorials. Additionally, seeking assistance from a professor or tutor can also aid in understanding the concepts and solving problems.