Knight Rider Turbo Boost Stunt: Redesigning K.I.T.T.

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boost
In summary, it would appear that it would be very difficult to design a car that could jump without compromising its hull integrity. It would likely require dropping the car from a height and then ensuring that the suspension can handle the landing.
Whitestar
I've been a Knight Rider fan since I was a kid. One of the coolest features of K.I.T.T. was its ability to turbo boost over obstacles. Now, the kid in me says, "Cool", but the adult in me says, "I very doubt that would work in real life". Years ago, I bought a die-cast model of K.I.T.T. equipped with a working red light scanner. I pretended to turbo boost it in a gentle way to see that the front fender would have been utterly destroyed if it came into contact with the ground (Hey, what can I say, I'm a big kid, so sue me! LOL!). It didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that it is impossible to turbo boost K.I.T.T. (or any kind of car for that matter) without redesigning it. I would think that a 4x4 would be better suited for the task.

Check out the following link below on the Knight Rider Turbo Boost Bloopers vid, it's hilarious!

Anyway, what would it take to redesign K.I.T.T. in order for it to perform jump stunts without compromising its hull integrity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dropping a car from 25+ feet and expecting the suspension to handle it is probably too much.
Also, many of those tricks are at speeds below 60mph, so you should expect too much from aerodynamics.
That leaves rocket boosters - to make sure the car lands evenly with no more vertical velocity than can be handled by the suspension.

Likes Whitestar
Whitestar said:
Anyway, what would it take to redesign K.I.T.T. in order for it to perform jump stunts without compromising its hull integrity?

The beginning of the jump can be reduced to a simple calculation and very little gnashing of teeth by using a one litre gas tank and a lockable suspension, and not AWD. That limits the vehicle to being a non-wobbling solid mass as it heads up and off the ramp.

The landing, you'd want the shock absorbers to be oleos, rated specifically for the drop height.

Might want to beef the frame up a bit (a lot).

Real life ? I volunteer to watch from a safe distance. Do pulse-jets need a warmup period ?

Last edited:
Likes Whitestar
.Scott said:
Dropping a car from 25+ feet and expecting the suspension to handle it is probably too much.

Only if you want to re-use the vehicle. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Whitestar, phinds and jrmichler
For those that remember the show The Dukes of Hazzard, there was an opening shot of the car landing after a jump. If you watched carefully, the left front fender buckled on landing.

A much smaller jump, barely enough to bottom the front suspension, forced me to get a front end alignment on my old 1997 Dodge Dakota. Twice.

Likes Whitestar
In the early '80s my girlfriend had a black Mazda RX7 that she let me drive -- sometimes in a safe enough situation I would as a joke say take over KITT and let go of the steering wheel and step on the pedal for a second -- the fantasy is becoming a reality now, but I don't trust anything to be operating vehicles on the public highway road that doesn't have a life that it could lose.

Likes Whitestar
Whitestar said:
Check out the following link below on the Knight Rider Turbo Boost Bloopers vid, it's hilarious!

It is hilarious, @Whitestar, but OMG, how many cars must they have gone through? In terms of stunt jumping cars, this is a nice description of the process by someone who knows, Travis Pastrana.

Likes Whitestar and sysprog
Can you say spinal compression?

Vehicle that can maybe handle it?

These might come close:
1584543816825.png

In this video there are some brutal landings to flat where even 3ft of suspension travel does naught:

Likes Whitestar
Wow, jumping cars is one thing, jumping them over woman sitting on stairs, that's a whole other level of insanity!

• Haha
Likes Whitestar
Tghu Verd said:
Wow, jumping cars is one thing, jumping them over woman sitting on stairs, that's a whole other level of insanity!

Yeah don't know why they have to do that, completely irrelevant to the video, which should just be awesome driving.

Likes Whitestar
That landing though, what's that 10ft maybe? Bottoms everything out hard, pretty sure he would have felt that in his spine.

essenmein said:
Bottoms everything out hard, pretty sure he would have felt that in his spine.

Absolutely! I read some years ago there was one of those TV weatherman / entertainers on an Australian morning show who jumped cars in a monster truck and ended up with fractured vertebrae. Ouch :confused:

• Wow
Likes Whitestar
essenmein said:
Can you say spinal compression?

Vehicle that can maybe handle it?

These might come close:
View attachment 258883

In this video there are some brutal landings to flat where even 3ft of suspension travel does naught:

Yes, I'd figured it would be something like those vehicles.

Or perhaps something like this:

18s46yq2d1vvdjpg.jpg

:cool:

• Haha
Likes member 656954
Whitestar said:
Or perhaps something like this:

It looks like some kind of automotive hedgehog, @Whitestar 👍 Though I wonder if it would survive a jump, there seems to be zero ground clearance.

Likes Whitestar
The problem with jumps is that when the front wheels are off the jump ramp the front end of the car immediately starts to drop at about the acceleration of gravity. This is why Cars generally don’t land on all four wheels when they land from a jump but instead crashing the nose of the car into the ground. This is one reason why they generally use a landing ramp it’s at an angle so that the car lands on all four wheels.

Might want to check out how many cars they destroy that are duplicates of the real one in shows that show a particular Car doing jumps.

PS I am getting sick of correcting the random capital letters that iOS inserts everywhere, sorry

1. How does the new Turbo Boost feature work on the redesigned K.I.T.T.?

The new Turbo Boost feature on the redesigned K.I.T.T. works by using a powerful rocket engine located in the rear of the car. This engine propels the car into the air, allowing it to perform stunts and jumps with ease.

2. What improvements have been made to K.I.T.T.'s design to accommodate the Turbo Boost feature?

The redesigned K.I.T.T. has been equipped with a stronger and more aerodynamic chassis to withstand the impact of the Turbo Boost jumps. The car's suspension and tires have also been upgraded to improve stability and control during stunts.

3. Is there a limit to how many times the Turbo Boost feature can be used?

There is no limit to the number of times the Turbo Boost feature can be used on the redesigned K.I.T.T. The rocket engine has been designed to withstand multiple uses without any significant decrease in performance.

4. How does the Turbo Boost feature affect the overall speed and handling of K.I.T.T.?

The Turbo Boost feature does not have a significant impact on K.I.T.T.'s overall speed and handling. The car has been designed to maintain its speed and agility even after performing stunts with the Turbo Boost feature.

5. Can the Turbo Boost feature be activated manually or does it only work in certain situations?

The Turbo Boost feature can be activated manually by the driver using a control panel inside the car. However, it can also be activated automatically in certain situations, such as during a high-speed chase or when the car needs to jump over an obstacle.