L^p space related question for p= infinity

In summary, the task is to exhibit a measurable set E such that L^p(E) is separable for p= infinity, and to show that L^infinity(E) is not separable if E contains a nondegenerate interval. It is suggested to use L^\infty(\{0\}) as an example for the first part, and to show that L^\infty(Q) is not separable for the second part. A possible approach is to show that there exists an embedding L^\infty([a,b])\rightarrow L^\infty(E). The question of whether [a,b] consists of disjoint sets of nondegenerate intervals is not relevant to this problem.
smanalysis

Homework Statement

We are asked to exhibit a measurable set E such that L^p(E) is separable for p= infinity. Also, we have to show that L^infinity(E) is not separable if E contains a nondegenerate interval.

Homework Equations

A normed linear space X is separable provided there is a countable subset that is dense in X.
In my real analysis class, we showed that L^infinity[a,b] is not separable but then my professor said that L^infinity of a countable set will be separable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Going by what my professor said, I'm thinking that L^infinity(Q) would work here, but I'm having a little trouble starting out on how to show that this is separable. Any ideas? I would really appreciate some help here. For the second part of the problem, I think it just follows from the fact that L^infinity[a,b] is not separable, but I'm struggling to figure out why. Well, wouldn't [a,b] itself consist of disjoint sets of nondegenerate intervals? Then again, maybe this question is related to something different...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
smanalysis said:
Going by what my professor said, I'm thinking that L^infinity(Q) would work here, but I'm having a little trouble starting out on how to show that this is separable. Any ideas?

OK, you COULD proceed this way, but you're making it hard on yourself. What about [tex]L^\infty(\{0\})[/tex], so simply take a singleton. Isn't that a lot easier??

I would really appreciate some help here. For the second part of the problem, I think it just follows from the fact that L^infinity[a,b] is not separable, but I'm struggling to figure out why.

Let's fix some notations, let E be our set that contains the nondegenerate interval [a,b]. You could begin by showing that there exists an embedding [tex]L^\infty([a,b])\rightarrow L^\infty(E)[/tex].

Well, wouldn't [a,b] itself consist of disjoint sets of nondegenerate intervals?

Yes, of course, but I don't see how this would help you...

I would listen to micromass' advice. Especially since I don't think L^infinity(Q) is separable. Why don't you try to show that it isn't? It's a pretty simple Cantor diagonal type argument.

1. What is L^p space for p = infinity?

L^p space for p = infinity is a function space that contains all measurable functions with finite norm. In other words, it is the space of all functions that are bounded in the infinity norm.

2. How is L^p space for p = infinity defined?

L^p space for p = infinity is defined as the set of all measurable functions f that satisfy ||f||_infinity < infinity, where ||f||_infinity is the supremum of the absolute value of f(x) over all x in the domain.

3. What is the difference between L^p space for p = infinity and L^infinity space?

The main difference between L^p space for p = infinity and L^infinity space is that L^p space for p = infinity contains functions with finite norm, while L^infinity space contains functions with infinite norm. In other words, L^p space for p = infinity is a subset of L^infinity space.

4. How is the norm ||f||_infinity calculated for L^p space with p = infinity?

The norm ||f||_infinity for L^p space with p = infinity is calculated as the supremum of the absolute value of f(x) over all x in the domain. This means finding the maximum value of |f(x)| and taking the limit as x approaches infinity.

5. What are some examples of functions in L^p space for p = infinity?

Some examples of functions in L^p space for p = infinity include constant functions, step functions, and periodic functions with finite amplitude. In general, any function that is bounded in the infinity norm belongs to L^p space for p = infinity.