LA St Patricks Day Earthquake 3/17/2014

• Thread starter nsaspook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 was a moderate earthquake with a magnitude of 4.4 on the Richter scale. It was caused by the sudden release of energy along a fault line and was felt in a wide area, including parts of California, Nevada, and Arizona. While there were reports of minor damage, there is no evidence to suggest that it was a foreshock of a larger earthquake.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Took you long enough...
seismic_waves.png

Likes 1 person
in-case-of-fire-exit-before-tweeting-about-it-tee-big.JPG

Or earthquake...

@lisab's pic
people sometimes make me want to
Jerry-Mouse-Facepalm%5B1%5D.jpg

Last edited:
I felt nothing, I wasn't even aware one happened until later that day.

1. What caused the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014?

The LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 was caused by the sudden release of energy along a fault line, resulting in seismic waves that caused the ground to shake.

2. How strong was the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014?

The LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 had a magnitude of 4.4 on the Richter scale, making it a moderate earthquake.

3. Was there any damage from the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014?

There were no reports of major damage from the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014. However, there were some reports of minor structural damage and objects falling off shelves.

4. Was the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 felt in other areas?

The LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 was felt in a wide area, including parts of California, Nevada, and Arizona. Some people reported feeling the earthquake as far as 300 miles away from the epicenter.

5. Is the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 considered a foreshock of a larger earthquake?

While it is possible that the LA St Patricks Day Earthquake on 3/17/2014 could have been a foreshock, there is no scientific evidence to support this. Foreshocks are typically smaller earthquakes that occur before a larger earthquake, but it is impossible to predict when or if a larger earthquake will occur in the same area.

Back