Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lactate doesn't produce acidosis?

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    Hello guys,

I always thought it did but it seems that it is actually a consequence of acidosis. According to this article http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article...r/lactate.html [Broken]

However I don't understand this bit in the article

ATP + H2O --> ADP + P + energy

I don't see a proton been released in this reaction, also what happened to the H20 in this reaction, shouldn't this reaction be written as

ATP + H2O --> ADP0H + PH + energy

Is the proton of PH released?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2
    No, the proton of ADP0H is released.

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the response :smile: I had a bit of a mental blank in this question. The equation like this is right ATP + H2O --> ADP + P + energy

If you look at the molecular formular phosphate gets the OH.

Also found the answer for the next bit

# The inorganic phosphate and the phosphate groups on ATP and ADP are weakly acidic, and have pK values in the physiological range. The activities of the different forms will vary depending on the pH of the reaction medium, and this will alter the value for DGo.

* HATP3- <==> ATP4- + H +; pK1' = 6.95
    * HADP2- <==> ADP3- + H +; pK2' = 6.88
    * H2PO4- <==> HPO42- + H +; pK3' = 7.20

(The effect of these pK values is that a H+ is released on ATP hydrolysis, with a stoichiometry which approaches 1 above pK3'. This proton release can be used to assay the reactions of ATP hydrolysis or synthesis, or follow the kinetics if a recoding pH meter is available.)

But I still like to hear other's opinion on the article. Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. Apr 2, 2010 #4
    lone pair electron from H20 attacks the beta (second) phosphate group of ATP and phospho di-ester bond between beta and gama phosphate is broken.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook