Lactate doesn't produce acidosis?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello guys,

I always thought it did but it seems that it is actually a consequence of acidosis. According to this article http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article...r/lactate.html [Broken]

However I don't understand this bit in the article

During vigorous exercise, the ATP (high-energy compound from which the cells derive energy) demands of muscle contraction are considerable. Every time an ATP molecule is split for energy it is broken down into an ADP and inorganic phosphate molecule, with the release of one hydrogen ion (another name for a hydrogen ion is a proton).
ATP + H2O --> ADP + P + energy

I don't see a proton been released in this reaction, also what happened to the H20 in this reaction, shouldn't this reaction be written as

ATP + H2O --> ADP0H + PH + energy

Is the proton of PH released?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

No, the proton of ADP0H is released.

No, the proton of ADP0H is released.
Thanks for the response :smile: I had a bit of a mental blank in this question. The equation like this is right ATP + H2O --> ADP + P + energy

If you look at the molecular formular phosphate gets the OH.

Also found the answer for the next bit

# The inorganic phosphate and the phosphate groups on ATP and ADP are weakly acidic, and have pK values in the physiological range. The activities of the different forms will vary depending on the pH of the reaction medium, and this will alter the value for DGo.

* HATP3- <==> ATP4- + H +; pK1' = 6.95
* HADP2- <==> ADP3- + H +; pK2' = 6.88
* H2PO4- <==> HPO42- + H +; pK3' = 7.20

(The effect of these pK values is that a H+ is released on ATP hydrolysis, with a stoichiometry which approaches 1 above pK3'. This proton release can be used to assay the reactions of ATP hydrolysis or synthesis, or follow the kinetics if a recoding pH meter is available.)

But I still like to hear other's opinion on the article. Thanks!!

Last edited:
lone pair electron from H20 attacks the beta (second) phosphate group of ATP and phospho di-ester bond between beta and gama phosphate is broken.