Lagrangian for a free particle

In summary, the second term of the Taylor-expanded Lagrangian must be a total derivative if the term is at most linear in the velocity. This is only true if the term is at most linear in the velocity.
RohanJ
TL;DR Summary
Discussion leading to Lagrangian for a free particle being (mv^2)/2
In Landau mechanics it's been given that multiple Lagrangians can be defined for a system which differ by a total derivative of a function.
This statement is further used for the following discussion.
IMG-20190531-WA0005.jpeg

I understand that the term for L has been expanded as a Taylor series but I can't understand the statement given just after that claims that partial derivative of L w.r.t v^2 is independent of the velocity.Can anyone lead me through it mathematically?

Attachments

• IMG-20190531-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20190531-WA0003.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
We want ##L'## and ##L## to be physically equivalent, i.e., yielding the same equations of motion (EoM). For this to be true, the 2nd term in the Taylor-expanded Lagrangian must be a total derivative. That's only true if the term is at most linear in the velocity (do you understand why this is so?).

Since there's already a linear factor in that term, i.e., the ##v \cdot \epsilon##, the factor ##\partial L/\partial v^2## can't have any ##v## terms.

(I'll stop here for now, since I'm not quite sure which bit you're not understanding.)

Likes vanhees71
strangerep said:
We want ##L'## and ##L## to be physically equivalent, i.e., yielding the same equations of motion (EoM). For this to be true, the 2nd term in the Taylor-expanded Lagrangian must be a total derivative. That's only true if the term is at most linear in the velocity (do you understand why this is so?).

Since there's already a linear factor in that term, i.e., the ##v \cdot \epsilon##, the factor ##\partial L/\partial v^2## can't have any ##v## terms.

(I'll stop here for now, since I'm not quite sure which bit you're not understanding.)
I don't understand why the second term must be linear in velocity and the part after that.

It is easy to see that a Lagrangian
$$\tilde{L}(q,\dot{q},t)=L(q,\dot{q},t)+\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Lambda(q,t)$$
gives precisely the same equations of motion as ##L##. To see this, note that
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Lambda(q,t) = \dot{q}^k \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q^k} + \partial_t \Lambda.$$
From this you find
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^k} \frac{\mathrm{d} \Lambda}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q^k}$$
and thus
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^k} \frac{\mathrm{d} \Lambda}{\mathrm{d} t} \right) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q^k} = \dot{q}^j \frac{\partial^2 \Lambda}{\partial q^k \partial q^j} + \frac{\partial \partial_t \Lambda}{\partial q^k}.$$
On the other hand
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial q^k} \frac{\mathrm{d} \Lambda}{\mathrm{d} t}=\dot{q}^j \frac{\partial^2 \Lambda}{\partial q^j \partial q^k} + \frac{\partial \partial_t \Lambda}{\partial q^k}.$$
This implies that the Euler-Lagrange equations for
$$\Omega(q,\dot{q},t)=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Lambda(q,\dot{q},t),$$
i.e.,
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial q^k},$$
are fulfilled identically, and thus ##\tilde{L}## and ##L## lead to the same equations of motion through Hamilton's least-action principle.

The crucial point is that ##\Omega## is a total time derivative of a function, that only depends on ##q## and ##t## but NOT on ##\dot{q}##.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
It is easy to see that a Lagrangian
$$\tilde{L}(q,\dot{q},t)=L(q,\dot{q},t)+\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Lambda(q,t)$$
gives precisely the same equations of motion as ##L##. To see this, note that
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Lambda(q,t) = \dot{q}^k \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q^k} + \partial_t \Lambda.$$
From this you find
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^k} \frac{\mathrm{d} \Lambda}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q^k}$$
and thus
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^k} \frac{\mathrm{d} \Lambda}{\mathrm{d} t} \right) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial q^k} = \dot{q}^j \frac{\partial^2 \Lambda}{\partial q^k \partial q^j} + \frac{\partial \partial_t \Lambda}{\partial q^k}.$$
On the other hand
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial q^k} \frac{\mathrm{d} \Lambda}{\mathrm{d} t}=\dot{q}^j \frac{\partial^2 \Lambda}{\partial q^j \partial q^k} + \frac{\partial \partial_t \Lambda}{\partial q^k}.$$
This implies that the Euler-Lagrange equations for
$$\Omega(q,\dot{q},t)=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Lambda(q,\dot{q},t),$$
i.e.,
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial \dot{q}^k}=\frac{\partial \Omega}{\partial q^k},$$
are fulfilled identically, and thus ##\tilde{L}## and ##L## lead to the same equations of motion through Hamilton's least-action principle.

The crucial point is that ##\Omega## is a total time derivative of a function, that only depends on ##q## and ##t## but NOT on ##\dot{q}##.
I understand that addition of a total time derivative does not affect the Euler Lagrange equation.
My question is in the discussion in Landau mechanics ,why does the second term of the taylor expansion being the total time derivative leads to the conclusion that ##∂L/∂v^2## is a linear function of velocity?

RohanJ said:
I understand that addition of a total time derivative does not affect the Euler Lagrange equation.
My question is in the discussion in Landau mechanics ,why does the second term of the taylor expansion being the total time derivative leads to the conclusion that ##∂L/∂v^2## is a linear function of velocity?
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}$$ is not linear in velocity it's constant, that's why ##L\propto v^2##

Gaussian97 said:
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}$$ is not linear in velocity it's constant, that's why ##L\propto v^2##
Sorry I made a mistake.I meant why the term containing ##∂L/∂v^2## or the "second term" i.e. ## 2v.e(∂L/∂v^2)## must be linear in velocity?

Well, as @vanhees71 said you can add a total derivative to your Lagrangian ##\frac{d}{dt}\Lambda##, but ##\Lambda## cannot be any function, must be function only of ##x## and ##t##. So then, using the chain rule, we have $$\frac{d}{dt}\Lambda=\frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial x}\frac{d x}{d t}+\frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial t}=v\frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial \Lambda}{\partial t}$$.
So it's a linear term with the velocity.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Lagrangian for a free particle?

The Lagrangian for a free particle is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line without any external forces acting on it. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and the potential energy of the particle.

2. How is the Lagrangian different from the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian are two different mathematical approaches used to describe the dynamics of a system. The Lagrangian is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system, while the Hamiltonian is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy. The main difference between the two is that the Lagrangian is used to describe the system in terms of generalized coordinates, while the Hamiltonian is used in terms of generalized momenta.

3. How is the Lagrangian used in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian is used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a particle or a system of particles. It is used to derive the equations of motion, known as the Euler-Lagrange equations, which can be solved to obtain the trajectory of the particle(s) in the system.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used for systems with external forces?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used for systems with external forces. In such cases, the Lagrangian is modified to include the external forces, and the resulting equations of motion are known as the Lagrange's equations.

5. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the motion of particles and systems in various branches of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for understanding the dynamics of physical systems and is an essential tool for solving complex problems in physics.