Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lagrangian for electromagnetic field derivation

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    " We can put the Lorentz force law into this form by being clever. First, we write
    $$\frac{dA_j}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{v_j}}(v.A)),$$
    since the partial derivative will pick out only the jth component of the dot product. Now, since the scalar potential is independent of the velocity, we can add on a term containing it inside the partial derivative:
    $$\frac{dA_j}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{v_j}}(v.A-q∅)),$$ "

I don't understand the rationale behind these. It seems like the author is trying to get to the final equation so he guess the steps in order to get to the final equation.

Source: https://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/02/no/pdfs/lorentz.pdf
    Page 2 below eqn(13)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

The link does not work for me - waits until timeout.

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The link worked for me.

However it is classical - not quantum so really should be in the classical physics section.

However the quantum derivation is very very beautiful and much more illuminating.

You will find it in page 129 of the following book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Physics-Symmetry-Undergraduate-Lecture-Notes/dp/3319192000

The basis, as I think was first discovered by Schwinger, is local SU(1) symmetry.

The same kind of reasoning leads to the existence of the Higgs for example - and much more. It is well worth your study.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hadn't seen this non-covariant derivation anywhere, so a big thank you to the OP for bringing it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted