1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian in rotating space without potential

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to derive the centrifugal and Coriolis forces with the Lagrangian for rotating space. The speed of an object for an outside observer is dr/dt + w x r, where r are the moving coordinates. So m/2(dr/dt + w x r)^2 is the Lagrangian.

3. The attempt at a solution

Everything above makes intuitive sense to me. The problem is that I don't know how to use the chain rule on the w x r.

When I derive it by dr/dt and then by d/dt I get m(d^2r/dt^2 + w x dr/dt), which is what I'm supposed to get.

But when I do it by d/dr I just cannot get what I'm supposed to. I looked all over the internet and I can't find the chain rule for cross products and I've played with it for a long time and it just doesn't work.

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    [tex]

\frac{\partial}{\partial t} (A \times B) = \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} \times B + A \times\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}

[/tex]

Then just apply the chain rule as you normally would for each derivative term, i.e.
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial A}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial A}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}
    [/tex]

edit - I realize this might not answer your question, but I'm having a hard time following what you're asking. What do you mean by 'derive it by dr/dt'

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    I mean derive it by r dot, the time derivative of of r.

When I derive it by r I get m(dr/dt + w x r)(d/dr(w x r)) and I don't know what to do with that. It seems reasonable to think that it is equal to m(dr/dt + w x r)(w x 1), but what do I do now? When you use the chain rule like this is it multiplied by a dot product? A cross product?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook