Laplace Transforms, Region of Convergence

In summary, the region of convergence is a concept in complex analysis that relates to the convergence of an improper integral involving a function and the complex variable e^-st. It is generally a half-plane to the right of a certain vertical line in the complex plane, and can be found by determining the values of s that satisfy the condition for convergence. This can be challenging for some functions, but in simpler cases, only well-behaved functions are considered.
tanky322
Can anyone explain the region of convergence to me in english? I understand the Laplace transform and can do it with my eyes closed, but I can't figure out how to figure out the ROC. I've scoured the internet, and every definition is vague or just incomprehensible by me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything about complex variables? The region of convergence is just the values of t where
[tex]\int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-s t} dt[/tex]
converges as an improper integral.
That can be difficult to find in general, but in many elementary applications only very well behaved f are considered for example the functions of exponential order.

I'm somewhat familiar with complex variables, although not too much. I guess what I am not really sure of, is what exactly converges? The function and e^-st?

Thanks for your reply!

What exactly converges? The improper integral. That is, the limit
[tex]\lim_{M\to+\infty}\int_0^M f(t)e^{-s t} dt[/tex]
exists. Generally, the region of convergence is a half-plane: all [itex]s[/itex] to the right of some vertical line in the complex plane.

As an example to what g_edgar wrote, consider
[tex] f(t) = e^{5 t}, [/tex]
for
[tex]t\geq0. [/tex]

Now calculuate

[tex]
\lim_{M\to+\infty}\int_0^M f(t)e^{-s t} dt = \lim_{M\to+\infty}\int_0^M e^{-(s-5) t}.
[/tex]

You should find that the limit only converges if [tex]s[/tex] satisfies some condition. That condition defines the region of convergence. Note that [tex]s[/tex] is complex in general, and the constraint will be on the real part.

Jason

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time to a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is a Laplace Transform calculated?

A Laplace Transform is calculated by taking the integral of the function multiplied by an exponential term, where the exponent is the complex frequency. The result is a new function in the complex frequency domain.

3. What is the Region of Convergence (ROC) in a Laplace Transform?

The Region of Convergence (ROC) is the range of values for which the Laplace Transform converges. In other words, it is the set of complex frequencies for which the integral in the Laplace Transform exists and is finite.

4. How is the Region of Convergence (ROC) determined?

The Region of Convergence (ROC) is determined by analyzing the poles and zeros of the Laplace Transform function. The ROC is the set of complex frequencies that lie outside of the outermost pole and inside of the outermost zero.

5. What is the significance of the Region of Convergence (ROC) in a Laplace Transform?

The Region of Convergence (ROC) is important because it determines the validity and usefulness of the Laplace Transform. A Laplace Transform with a larger ROC is more useful as it converges for a wider range of complex frequencies, allowing for a more accurate analysis of the system.