Large number of photons occupy the same quantum mechanical state?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Talib
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Lasers produce a beam of light in which a large number of photons occupy
the same quantum mechanical state. Is it possible to build a similar device
producing such a beam of electrons? Explain.


Can anyone help? I don't know on which concept should I base this. I just need a starting point. Thanks

Talib
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipediate bosons and fermions. Which are photons? Which are electrons?
 
Thanks for the reply.

Great! I just started reading that.

Photons -> bosons -> they can occupy same state
Electrons -> fermions -> they can't occupy the same statebecause they are truly indistinguishable according to the Exclusion Principle -> thus we can't design the device

How does that sound?
 
Talib said:
Thanks for the reply.

Great! I just started reading that.

Photons -> bosons -> they can occupy same state
Electrons -> fermions -> they can't occupy the same statebecause they are truly indistinguishable according to the Exclusion Principle -> thus we can't design the device

How does that sound?

Good- but both fermions and bosons are truly indistinguishable. You should also Wikipediate 'Pauli exclusion principle'.
 
Alright .. thanks a lot .. that really helped :)

Talib