Large number of photons occupy the same quantum mechanical state?

Wikipediate bosons and fermions, specifically the Pauli exclusion principle. In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of building a device that produces a beam of electrons similar to how lasers produce a beam of photons. However, due to the nature of electrons being fermions and governed by the Pauli exclusion principle, it is not possible to design such a device.
Talib

Homework Statement

Lasers produce a beam of light in which a large number of photons occupy
the same quantum mechanical state. Is it possible to build a similar device
producing such a beam of electrons? Explain.

Can anyone help? I don't know on which concept should I base this. I just need a starting point. Thanks

Talib

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipediate bosons and fermions. Which are photons? Which are electrons?

Thanks for the reply.

Great! I just started reading that.

Photons -> bosons -> they can occupy same state
Electrons -> fermions -> they can't occupy the same statebecause they are truly indistinguishable according to the Exclusion Principle -> thus we can't design the device

How does that sound?

Talib said:
Thanks for the reply.

Great! I just started reading that.

Photons -> bosons -> they can occupy same state
Electrons -> fermions -> they can't occupy the same statebecause they are truly indistinguishable according to the Exclusion Principle -> thus we can't design the device

How does that sound?

Good- but both fermions and bosons are truly indistinguishable. You should also Wikipediate 'Pauli exclusion principle'.

Alright .. thanks a lot .. that really helped :)

Talib

1. What does it mean for a large number of photons to occupy the same quantum mechanical state?

When a large number of photons occupy the same quantum mechanical state, it means that all of the photons have the same energy level, direction of propagation, and polarization. This is known as a coherent state and is a fundamental property of light in quantum mechanics.

2. How is this phenomenon possible in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, photons are considered to be wave-like particles that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows for a large number of photons to occupy the same quantum mechanical state, as they can exist in the same state without interfering with each other.

3. What is the significance of a large number of photons occupying the same quantum mechanical state?

The phenomenon of a large number of photons occupying the same quantum mechanical state has important implications in various fields, such as quantum computing, telecommunications, and laser technology. It allows for precise control and manipulation of light, making it a valuable tool for many applications.

4. Can this phenomenon occur with other particles besides photons?

Yes, a large number of particles with wave-like properties, such as electrons and atoms, can also occupy the same quantum mechanical state. This is known as Bose-Einstein condensation and has been observed in experiments with ultra-cold atoms.

5. Are there any limitations to the number of photons that can occupy the same quantum mechanical state?

In theory, there is no limit to the number of photons that can occupy the same quantum mechanical state. However, in practical applications, there are limitations due to factors such as energy dissipation, interactions with other particles, and the size of the system being observed.