Largest mass of rock that wont sink the boat

  • Thread starter Thread starter jason_r
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boat Mass Rock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
jason_r
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You begin by measuring one of the hemispheres, finding that it has a mass of 21 g and a diameter of 8.6 cm

Basically you have a hemisphere shaped boat with mass 21g and diamter 8.6cm you have to find the heaviest mass of rock that u can put in the boat that won't sink it.

What is the mass of the heaviest rock that, in perfectly still water, won't sink the plastic boat?


Homework Equations



I equated the densities of the boat and water and solved for m

The Attempt at a Solution


I got 3.85kg as an answer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that this answer is wrong, that's why you're posting here. Am I right?
It would help if you posted your method to acquire your answer, as well as all the relevant values ie. densities.
 
I'm on a similar problem. The textbook appears to say that I should try to set the average density of the sphere equal to the density of the water. So, I tried:
rou(water)=rou(ave)
rou(water)=1000kg/m^3
rou(ave)=[mass(sphere)+mass(rock)+mass(air in sphere)]/volume
Then I set the two equal to each other and solved for the mass of the rock. I've gone through it several times and can't come up with the correct answer.