Buoyancy (A Boat in Water vs Alcohol)

In summary: Instead, it is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. This means that the buoyant force in alcohol will be less than in water because alcohol is less dense.In summary, according to Archimedes' Principle, if a toy boat floats with half of it submerged in water, then when trying to float it in alcohol, it would be less than half submerged. This is because alcohol is less dense than water, so it would provide less buoyant force, resulting in the boat sinking or being partially submerged. The amount of the boat submerged would also depend on the depth of the tub and the size of the boat.
Rapier

Homework Statement

You take a toy boat, float it in a tub of water and one half of the boat is below the surface. According to Archimedes’ Principle, how much of the boat would be below the surface if you tried to float it in a tub of alcohol?
→Less than half.
→Half.
→More than half, but still floating.
→All of it because it would sink.
→It depends on the depth of the tub.
→It depends on the length and width of the boat.

Homework Equations

ρ(water) = 1e3
ρ(alcohol) = .806e3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that since the boat floats with half of it submerged in regular water that the volume of half of the boat is equal to the buoyant force. I know that alcohol is a lot less dense than water (about 20% less). I can narrow it down to either sinking or 'more than half but still floating.' I think it might sink because alcohol is not dense enough to support the boat, but I also think it might be possible for the difference in density between water and alcohol to be offset by the increased mass of displaced alcohol.

I was trying to use my equations to calculate the forces, but I'm not sure which equation to use. I understand the principal behind buoyancy, but I'm afraid I'm stuck implementing that understanding mathematically.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. You need to write down the equations for buoyant force and weight specifically, and see what they tell you.
Rapier said:
I know that since the boat floats with half of it submerged in regular water that the volume of half of the boat is equal to the buoyant force.
You're right that only half of the volume is contributing to the buoyant force, but the buoyant force is not equal to the displaced volume.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid, in this case water or alcohol, that allows the object to float or remain suspended in the fluid.

2. How does buoyancy differ between a boat in water vs alcohol?

The buoyancy force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Since water and alcohol have different densities, the weight of the displaced fluid will be different, resulting in a different buoyancy force. Therefore, a boat will float higher in alcohol than in water, as it displaces a smaller volume of alcohol for the same weight.

3. Does the shape of the boat affect its buoyancy in water vs alcohol?

Yes, the shape of the boat can affect its buoyancy in both water and alcohol. A boat with a larger surface area will displace more fluid and therefore experience a greater buoyancy force. Additionally, the shape of the hull can also impact how easily the boat moves through the fluid.

4. Can an object sink in alcohol but float in water?

Yes, an object can sink in alcohol but float in water. This is because the density of the object is greater than the density of alcohol, but less than the density of water. The buoyancy force will be greater in water, allowing the object to float, but not strong enough in alcohol to keep the object afloat.

5. How is buoyancy related to density?

There is a direct relationship between buoyancy and density. The greater the density of an object, the greater the weight of the displaced fluid, and the greater the buoyancy force. This is why objects with higher densities, such as lead, will sink in water but still float in alcohol.