Largest Number Game - Start at 1!

• Thread starter AndreasC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: Nails down what is meant by "large enough" and2. States how a specific n is to be chosen from...What does that mean specifically? I'm not sure what you are asking for.
I think this would have been more interesting to the non-mathematicians if, for each new number, the poster had to tell us the number of digits in the (base 10) representation. Remember, this thread is in General Discussion.

Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
I think this would have been more interesting to the non-mathematicians if, for each new number, the poster had to tell us the number of digits in the (base 10) representation. Remember, this thread is in General Discussion.
The number of digits in Graham's number, for instance, is nearly as staggering as the number itself and is best written as log(Graham's number).

Wikipedia said:
But even the number of digits in this digital representation of Graham's number would itself be a number so large that its digital representation cannot be represented in the observable universe. Nor even can the number of digits of that number—and so forth, for a number of times far exceeding the total number of Planck volumes in the observable universe.

It's freaking big.

Likes AndreasC
How about googolplex? A googol ##=10^{100}##, googolplex ##=10^{googol}##.

This is starting to degenerate to the form ##X_{n+1} = X_n + K ## for some ##K##.

gmax137 said:
I originally made the thread in the General math section but it was moved here.

Anyways, we're still at Graham's number, and I have some ideas to get some number that is significantly larger but I want to see what other people have.

mathman said:
How about googolplex? A googol ##=10^{100}##, googolplex ##=10^{googol}##.
That's way smaller.

Rayo's Number = Rayo(10^100) where Rayo(n) is uncomputable :P

Ignoring the game and just listing an interesting big number

25^1312000 is ‘Borges’ number’ - the number of books in the Library of Babel

Likes gmax137, AndreasC and Ibix