Maximizing Your Chance of Winning a Number Guessing Game

• Thread starter derekderek123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, when playing a number guessing game against an opponent who is good at the game and has only one guess, the best strategy is to choose two guesses that are evenly spaced throughout the range of possible numbers. This will give you the highest chance of winning as it forces your opponent to make a difficult choice between three equally bad options.
derekderek123
You are playing a number guessing game. A random integer will be chosen from 1 to 299. You get two guesses at the number and your opponent only gets one. Whoever gets closest to the random number when it is chosen is the winner. If you have to make both of your choices before your opponent picks his number, then what choices should you make to maximize your chance of winning the game? Assume that your opponent is good at this game.

I got (75,225) (76,225) (75,224). What you guys think?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section as it's homework-like.

Yes, what you found is the optimal strategy (+-1 depending on how ties are treated). Your opponent has three reasonable options, and you want to make all equally bad: Guess 1 below your lower guess (they win if the number is below your lower guess), guess in between your guesses (50% chance to win if the number is between your guesses), or guess 1 above your highest guess. That means you should guess at 1/4 and 3/4 into the possible range.

Likes jim mcnamara and derekderek123

1. How can I increase my chances of winning a number guessing game?

To maximize your chances of winning a number guessing game, you should use a strategy that involves narrowing down your choices based on the given information. This could include using mathematical principles such as the law of averages or looking for patterns in the numbers.

2. Is there a specific number or range of numbers that I should choose to increase my chances of winning?

There is no specific number or range of numbers that guarantees a win in a number guessing game. However, it is important to avoid choosing numbers that are too common or easily guessed, such as 1, 2, or 100. Instead, try to choose a variety of numbers that cover the entire range of possible choices.

3. Should I change my number choices if I keep losing the game?

Changing your number choices will not necessarily increase your chances of winning. It is important to stick to your chosen strategy and continue narrowing down your choices based on the given information. Remember, each game is independent of the previous one and has an equal chance of being won or lost.

4. Is there a way to predict the winning number in a number guessing game?

No, there is no way to predict the winning number in a number guessing game. The game is based on random chance and each number has an equal probability of being chosen. It is important to use a strategic approach rather than trying to predict the winning number.

5. Can I use past results to increase my chances of winning?

Past results have no impact on future outcomes in a number guessing game. Each game is independent and has an equal chance of being won or lost. It is important to focus on the given information and use a strategic approach to maximize your chances of winning.