Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser Travelling wave rate equations solved numerically

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    have a wave equation:

(∂^2 p)/〖∂z〗^2 -1/c^2 (∂^2 p)/〖∂t〗^2

In my case, (fields propagation within a semiconductor laser)
    Which can be factored into forward propagating photon density:

(∂p^+)/∂t+C_g (∂p^+)/∂z=C_g Gp^++〖1/2 βR〗_sp

And backward propagation wave (photon density):

〖∂p〗^-/∂t-C_g (∂p^-)/∂t=C_g Gp^-+〖1/2 βR〗_sp

The photons are due to direct modulation of a laser, with the carrier density given by:

∂n/∂t=J/qd-n/τ_nr -〖R_sp-C〗_g G(p^++p^-)

I applied method of lines to discritizze the spatial variable, using backward difference to Forward photon and forward difference to backward photon density to obtain a system of first order ODEs, I then applied first order Finite differences for the time variable to obtain the following equations:

Equation 1
    (p^+ (t+1,z)-p^+ (t,z))/Δt+C_g (p^+ (t,z)-p^+ (t-1,z))/Δz=C_g.G〖(n(t,z) ).p〗^++〖1/2 β.R〗_sp (n(t,z))

Equation 2
    (p^- (t+1,z)-p^- (t,z))/Δt-C_g (p^- (t,z)-p^- (t,z+1))/Δz=C_g.G〖(n(t,z) ).(p〗^++〖1/2 β.R〗_sp (n(t,z))

Equation 3
    (n(t,z)-n(t-1,z))/Δt=J(t,z)/qd-n(t,z)/τ_nr - R_sp (n(t,z) )G〖(n(t,z) )-〖1/2 C〗_g G〖(n(t,z) ) 〖.(p〗〗^+ (t,z)+p〗^- (t,z)+p^+ (t,z-1)+p^- (t,z-1) )

I now want to solve these using MATLAB
    Can any body help with any recipe, particularly the best algorithm or code to solve such a scenario varying in both time and space?

I have attached a word document with better readable equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2
    The equations that you wrote down (the ones you get after discretization) are almost the algorithm. They can be translated directly into code. Have you ever programmed a finite difference method before? If not, do you have an example that you can use to get you started?

You don't talk about boundary conditions; you need to think about this before you can implement the method. Also, I notice that you use backward differences for the time variable in the third equation. Is that on purpose or a typo?

4. Jun 25, 2008 #3
    backward difference on third equation is done on purpose, I am trying to use two coupled meshes. I have never programmed a FD before especially in this case where discritization has been done to both the time and spacial variables.
    Boundary conditions are that p(0, z) = n(0,z) = 0 (causality)
    p^+(t,0) = kp^-(t,0)
    p^+(t,L) = kp^-(t,L)

where L, is the total length to the right boundary

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?