1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Late change major or go for masters?

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    I'm nearing the end of my 3rd year as a physics major and I've become really disinterested in most of my upper division physics classes, which is affecting my grades and causing me hate my classes. I really like my electronics class, probably because of how it is not theoretical (I think I am just tired of theory).

Anyway, my question is: If I was sure that I wanted to work in the electronics industry (R&D or EE, etc) would I be better off switching to EE and spending an extra year to complete the degree, or just finishing my physics degree and spending that extra year to get a masters in EE?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

What are the courses offered in the upper levels? Typically there should be some applied physics courses for electronics related studies, like solid state physics. I think choosing these courses and then starting to work on advertising your skills will be better than changing majors and spend the extra time of catching up the courses you haven't done.

The electronics companies I've approached do realize that physics majors with the right specializations can be just as competent for their positions so have EE majors is not a hard requirement.

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the response! There are dense analog and digital electronics courses, and there is a condensed matter physics series. I was planning on taking all of the electronics courses that were offered but I hadn't considered taking the condensed matter series.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook