LaTeX: Possible to supress chapter number in section number headings?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to display section numbers without chapter numbers in a LaTeX document of class "book." It is mentioned that Munkres' Topology text has independent section numbering within each chapter. The question is raised about how to get a heading for a section to appear as just the section number without the chapter number, while still keeping the chapter structure intact. The solution is found by using the command \def\thesection{\arabic{section}} in the preamble.
gauss^2
Is it possible to only show section numbers without chapter numbers in a LaTeX document of class "book"? For instance, Munkres' Topology text breaks things down into chapters but the sections are numbered independent of the chapter. For instance, Sections 1-11 are in Chapter 1, 12-22 in Chapter 2, and so on. If I'm writing solutions up for the book how can I get the heading for Section 13 to show up as "13" instead of "2.13" without scrapping the chapters? e.g., I would still like the section 13 to appear in chapter 2. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... I just found out it could easily be done by putting the command \def\thesection{\arabic{section}} in the preamble.

1. Can I remove the chapter number from section headings in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to suppress the chapter number in section headings in LaTeX. This can be done by using the \chapter* command instead of \chapter to create the chapter heading, and then using the \section command to create the section heading without the chapter number.

2. Will removing the chapter number affect the numbering of other elements, such as equations or figures?

No, removing the chapter number from section headings will not affect the numbering of other elements. Each element in LaTeX has its own counter, so removing the chapter number will only affect the section headings and not other elements.

3. Is there a way to remove the chapter number in section headings for just one chapter?

Yes, you can use the \setcounter{secnumdepth}{0} command to suppress the chapter number in section headings for a specific chapter. This command will only affect the current chapter and the chapter number will still appear in section headings for other chapters.

4. Can I still reference sections with no chapter number?

Yes, you can still reference sections without a chapter number. When using the \label and \ref commands, LaTeX will automatically include the chapter number if it is present. However, if the chapter number is suppressed in section headings, it will not be included in the reference.

5. Will the table of contents be affected by removing the chapter number in section headings?

Yes, removing the chapter number in section headings will also remove the chapter number in the table of contents. If you want the chapter number to appear in the table of contents but not in section headings, you can use the \addcontentsline command to manually add the chapter number to the table of contents for that section.