LaTeX: Possible to supress chapter number in section number headings?

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gauss^2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Latex Section
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
gauss^2
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Is it possible to only show section numbers without chapter numbers in a LaTeX document of class "book"? For instance, Munkres' Topology text breaks things down into chapters but the sections are numbered independent of the chapter. For instance, Sections 1-11 are in Chapter 1, 12-22 in Chapter 2, and so on. If I'm writing solutions up for the book how can I get the heading for Section 13 to show up as "13" instead of "2.13" without scrapping the chapters? e.g., I would still like the section 13 to appear in chapter 2. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... I just found out it could easily be done by putting the command \def\thesection{\arabic{section}} in the preamble.