Latex Troubleshooting: My Attempted Solution

In summary: You cannot ignore friction when you have rolling without slipping. If you put a wheel on a frictionless incline, it will slide down just like a block without rolling. In this case, the angular speed ##\omega## about the axis of the wheel is zero. If the wheel is rolling down without slipping, then and only then the angular speed is related to the speed of...
mattlfang
I really struggle the get the Latex working for some reason, so I attached my attempted solution in another picture.

Attachments

• image_2021-11-07_083522.png
    image_2021-11-07_083522.png
    2 KB · Views: 69
  • image_2021-11-07_090115.png
    image_2021-11-07_090115.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity of the center of mass of the (wheel + stick) system is initially zero. For the center of mass to be moving in the horizontal direction after the stick is horizontal, there must have been a horizontal force that acted (or continues to act) on it. What is that force and where is it coming from?

To fix your LaTeX problem, bracket your expressions between two ## symbols on each side, not just one.

kuruman said:
The velocity of the center of mass of the (wheel + stick) system is initially zero. For the center of mass to be moving in the horizontal direction after the stick is horizontal, there must have been a horizontal force that acted (or continues to act) on it. What is that force and where is it coming from?

To fix your LaTeX problem, bracket your expressions between two ## symbols on each side, not just one.
But there is friction? so the momentum is not conserved in the horizontal direction?

Imagine the wheel riding on two rails with a gap between them that allows the stick to fall through and swing around. What would the motion of the system look like if there is no energy loss?

kuruman said:
Imagine the wheel riding on two rails with a gap between them that allows the stick to fall through and swing around. What would the motion of the system look like if there is no energy loss?

sorry, I don't quite understand this "the wheel riding on two rails with a gap between them that allows the stick to fall through and swing around" part? I don't fully understand what this system looks like?

I start to suspect when people say "Rolling Without Slipping", it implies that momentum is conserved (the change to the momentum can be ignored), despite having a frictional force?

mattlfang said:
sorry, I don't quite understand this "the wheel riding on two rails with a gap between them that allows the stick to fall through and swing around" part? I don't fully understand what this system looks like?

I start to suspect when people say "Rolling Without Slipping", it implies that momentum is conserved (the change to the momentum can be ignored), despite having a frictional force?
When people say "rolling without slipping" they mean that the point on the wheel that is in contact with the surface is instantaneously at rest relative to all points on the surface. In other words, the points that are in contact do not move relative to each other. When there is slipping, the points in contact move relative to each other.

The figure below shows what I am asking you to imagine. In the front view, the stick falls so that its free end moves out of the screen. In the side view, the free end rotates clockwise in the plane of the screen.

Stick&Wheel.png

kuruman said:
When people say "rolling without slipping" they mean that the point on the wheel that is in contact with the surface is instantaneously at rest relative to all points on the surface. In other words, the points that are in contact do not move relative to each other. When there is slipping, the points in contact move relative to each other.

The figure below shows what I am asking you to imagine. In the front view, the stick falls so that its free end moves out of the screen. In the side view, the free end rotates clockwise in the plane of the screen.

View attachment 291923

Ok, I believe I get what you are trying to convey with your example. But I am not sure if exactly addresses my concerns.

You are basically suggesting a model *similar* to below. A pendulum attached to a block that's freely sliding without friction on a rail. I agree in this case, conservation of momentum applies because no forces are exerted on the system. We see this kind of models a lot, if we just google "block rail pendulum"

But what I don't understand is if you replace this block with a wheel that's "rolling without slipping". Then there is a horizontal static friction exerted on your wheel? Then conservation of momentum doesn't apply?

Unless "rolling without slipping" usually entails we can ignore the friction?

1636331090007.png

mattlfang said:
Unless "rolling without slipping" usually entails we can ignore the friction?
You cannot ignore friction when you have rolling without slipping. If you put a wheel on a frictionless incline, it will slide down just like a block without rolling. In this case, the angular speed ##\omega## about the axis of the wheel is zero. If the wheel is rolling down without slipping, then and only then the angular speed is related to the speed of the center of mass of the wheel by ##V_{\text{cm}}=\omega~R.## There is also the intermediate case of rolling with slipping in which case ##V_{\text{cm}}<\omega~R.##

The wheel-on-rails setup is dissimilar to your pendulum in that it is inverted. You will gain some insight if you describe qualitatively what happens to the wheel + stick system on rails if the stick swings down past the horizontal position and then back up through a full 360°.

1. What is the most common issue when trying to use latex for scientific documents?

The most common issue when using latex is getting errors or warnings during the compilation process. These can be caused by various factors such as missing packages, syntax errors, or conflicting commands.

2. Why am I getting a blank page instead of my document when I compile with latex?

This could be caused by a missing \begin{document} command or an error in the document's structure. Make sure all necessary commands are included and check for any syntax errors.

3. How do I troubleshoot font and formatting issues in my latex document?

If your document is not displaying the correct font or formatting, it could be due to missing packages or errors in the document's preamble. Check for any missing packages or conflicting commands in your preamble.

4. Why is my table or figure not appearing in the correct location in my latex document?

This could be caused by the placement options given to the table or figure, such as [h] for "here". If there is not enough space on the current page, latex will automatically move the table or figure to the next page. Consider using other placement options or adjusting the size of the table/figure to fit on the current page.

5. How do I troubleshoot citations and references in my latex document?

If your citations or references are not appearing correctly, it could be due to missing or incorrect bibliography files or errors in the citation commands. Make sure all necessary files are included and check for any syntax errors in the citation commands.