Latex: writing the input/output of program in a report

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to represent input and output from Mathematica in a report. The options mentioned include using Openoffice format, boxedminipage with "description" list format, and the listings package from ctan. The latter is suggested as a simpler option for using plain text output from Mathematica in a LaTeX file.
phillyj
I'm working on a report that describes the input and output from Mathematica. Is there any standard way for me to represent them? I done this openoffice already but I want to put my paper into latex. What I currently have in Openoffice format was like this:

Input:
[1] ________
[2] ________
:
:

Output:
[1] ________
[2] ________
:
:

And I put it in a box and Courier font to make it stand out.

Unless there is some other method i was going to use boxedminipage and the list format "description" to put this together with a font like "teletypefont". But this seems more hard work. Is there anything simpler?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried
Code:
\begin{verbatim}
... whatever ...
\end{verbatim}
That automatically gives your monospaced text, keeps line breaks, etc.

There are packages with more features that you can download from TeX archive sites, like "moreverb" and (probably the ultimate one) "fancyverb". See their documentation for the details.

I think mathematica will output a LaTeX file.

Use the http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/listings/" package from ctan. (It won't read a .nb file, but you can use it with plain text.)

Last edited by a moderator:
for your question! As a scientist, it is important to accurately and clearly communicate the input and output of a program in a report. While there may not be a standard way to represent this information in LaTeX, there are several options you can consider.

One option is to use the "verbatim" environment in LaTeX, which will display the input and output exactly as it is written, without any formatting. This may be the simplest option, but it may not be the most visually appealing. Another option is to use the "listings" package in LaTeX, which allows you to format code and text in a more visually appealing way. You can specify a specific font, like "teletypefont", and use the "lstlisting" environment to display your input and output.

You mentioned using "boxedminipage" and the "description" list format, which is also a valid approach. This may require more work, but it allows for more customization and formatting options. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on your specific needs and preferences. I suggest experimenting with different methods to see which one works best for your report.

In any case, it is important to ensure that the input and output are clearly labeled and easily distinguishable from the rest of the text. Using a different font or a box can help with this, as you have already done in your Openoffice format. Thank you for considering LaTeX for your report and good luck with your project!

1. What is Latex?

Latex is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of science, mathematics, and engineering.

2. How is Latex used for writing the input/output of a program in a report?

Latex has a built-in language for typesetting code called "verbatim." This allows users to easily include the input and output of a program in their report without any formatting or spacing issues.

3. Can Latex handle different programming languages for input/output in a report?

Yes, Latex can handle various programming languages by using packages such as "listings" or "minted." These packages provide syntax highlighting and other features for including code in a report.

4. Is Latex difficult to learn for writing program input/output?

The learning curve for Latex may be steep for those unfamiliar with typesetting systems. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help users learn the basics of Latex, including how to include program input/output in a report.

5. Can Latex be used for both digital and print reports?

Yes, Latex can be used for both digital and print reports. The typesetting system allows users to easily format their documents for different outputs, such as PDF or HTML. This makes it a versatile option for creating reports for different purposes.