Share Latex Code Easily: Tips and Tricks

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Latex
In summary: Is there a way to use dollar signs as delimiters, or are they reserved for other uses?There is no way to use dollar signs as delimiters in Scientific Workplace. They are only for other uses.
PainterGuy
Hi

I use Scientific Workplace to write down math equations and also to create documents involving mathematics and to do calculations. Although most people use it for writing science articles, I've found it extremely helpful for whatever little bit of mathematics I do.

I face a problem when I need to share my work with someone, say, on this forum. Mostly I take a screenshot of my work and share it like this. But I can imagine that it's not easy for a person who is trying to help me to correct any error in my calculations or to point out a certain fragment or equation from the screenshot. What can I do to make it little easier and convenient for others? The software can produce xHTML page too but the forum doesn't support the format. When I try to copy the latex code for the linked screenshot, I get the following which doesn't make much sense and I don't know how to put into proper latex form so it can be made work here.

Code:
038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$\U{394} P=\frac{8\U{3bc} LQ}{\U{3c0} R\U{2074} }$

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$\U{394} P$ is the pressure difference between the two ends

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$L$ is the length of pipe, $1$ $km$

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$\U{3bc} $ is the dynamic viscosity,  $8.90\times 10^{-4}$ $Pa$\textperiodcentered $s$

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$Q$ is the volumetric flow rate, $2m^{3}/s$

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$R$ is the pipe radius, $0.2m$

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >

038<p type="texpara" tag="Body Text" >$\U{394} P=\frac{8\U{3bc} LQ}{\U{3c0} R\U{2074} }=\frac{8\ast 8.90\times 10^{-4}\ast 997.6\ast 2}{\U{3c0} \ast 0.2^{4}}=\allowbreak \frac{8878.\,\allowbreak 6}{\U{3c0} }=2826$ $Pa$

Please let me know that how I can make it little easier for others. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could simply write it out like this:

##\Delta P=\dfrac{8\mu LQ}{\pi R^4 }##

##\Delta P## is the pressure difference between the two ends

##L## is the length of pipe, ##1\text{ km}##

##\mu ## is the dynamic viscosity, ##8.90\times 10^{-4}\text{ Pa}\cdot\text{s}##

##Q## is the volumetric flow rate, ##2\,\dfrac{\text{m}^3}{\text{s}}##

##R## is the pipe radius, ##0.2\text{ m}##

##\Delta P=\dfrac{8\mu LQ}{\pi R^4 }=\dfrac{8\cdot 8.90\times 10^{-4}\cdot 997.6\cdot 2}{\pi \cdot 0.2^{4}}=\dfrac{8878.6}{\pi}=2826 \text{ Pa}##

Quote my post to see the difference between what you have in Scientific Workplace and what I posted above.

Likes PainterGuy
MarkFL said:
You could simply write it out like this:

##\Delta P=\dfrac{8\mu LQ}{\pi R^4 }##

##L## is the length of pipe, ##1\text{ km}##

##\mu ## is the dynamic viscosity, ##8.90\times 10^{-4}\text{ Pa}\cdot\text{s}##

##Q## is the volumetric flow rate, ##2\,\dfrac{\text{m}^3}{\text{s}}##

##R## is the pipe radius, ##0.2\text{ m}##

##\Delta P=\dfrac{8\mu LQ}{\pi R^4 }=\dfrac{8\cdot 8.90\times 10^{-4}\cdot 997.6\cdot 2}{\pi \cdot 0.2^{4}}=\dfrac{8878.6}{\pi}=2826 \text{ Pa}##

Quote my post to see the difference between what you have in Scientific Workplace and what I posted above.

Thank you.

I believe that you typed it out again here. The problem is that it would just require me re-type everything and it would leave Scientific Workplace (SW) useless as far as just writing down a document goes. Do you see any easy way to fix my SW code so that I could just share it? Thanks.

Right click on equation, select "show math as" and then choose tex commands.

Likes PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
Thank you.

I believe that you typed it out again here. The problem is that it would just require me re-type everything and it would leave Scientific Workplace (SW) useless as far as just writing down a document goes. Do you see any easy way to fix my SW code so that I could just share it? Thanks.

I copy/pasted what you included in the CODE box into a text editor (Notepad++), and then used the replace function to remove the leading "038" and the opening HTML paragraph tag. Then I replaced the \U{xxx} characters with the equivalent ##\LaTeX## symbols, and a few other minor adjustments.

I think the main difference is that in your work environment dollar signs are used as delimiters, whereas here double pound signs are used. You may get away with simply replacing those, as I suspect the other things were a result of you copying HTML rather than your raw text.

Likes PainterGuy
MarkFL said:
I think the main difference is that in your work environment dollar signs are used as delimiters, whereas here double pound signs are used.
Double pound for inline, double dollar sigh for new line.

Likes MarkFL
Greg Bernhardt said:
Double pound for inline, double dollar sigh for new line.

Ah...I noticed the TEX tags also serve as display type delimiters. Double dollar is easier...thanks!

MarkFL said:
Ah...I noticed the TEX tags also serve as display type delimiters. Double dollar is easier...thanks!
Right tex and itex

Thank you, everyone.

I use Scientific Workplace 5.50 but just downloaded SW 6 to experiment with it. The latex code below was generated by SW 6 and I just replaced "$" with ""##" using Notepad++. It looks a little better compared to the previous one. I believe that it'd make a little easier for others.

Do you know of any free online latex viewer and editor? I found this https://latexbase.com/ which isn't really working for me. Thanks.

##\Delta P =\frac{8 \mu L Q}{\pi R {\small\fbox{2074}} }##

##L## is the length of pipe, ##1## ##k m##

##\mu ## is the dynamic viscosity, ##8.90 \times 10^{ -4}## ##P a##{\textperiodcentered}##s##

##Q## is the volumetric flow rate, ##2 m^{3}/s##

##R## is the pipe radius, ##0.2 m##

##\Delta P =\frac{8 \mu L Q}{\pi R {\small\fbox{2074}} } =\frac{8 \ast 8.90 \times 10^{ -4} \ast 997.6 \ast 2}{\pi \ast 0.2^{4}} =\frac{8878.\,6}{\pi } =2826## ##P a##

PainterGuy said:
The latex code below was generated by SW 6 and I just replaced "$" with ""##" using Notepad++. It looks a little better compared to the previous one. I believe that it'd make a little easier for others.
The conversion to TEX doesn’t seem like it will help you much since it’s introducing several problems itself. Unless you can copy and modify the raw code for the original you are working on, posting a picture like you first mentioned is probably your best bet.

Likes PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
Thank you, everyone.

I use Scientific Workplace 5.50 but just downloaded SW 6 to experiment with it. The latex code below was generated by SW 6 and I just replaced "$" with ""##" using Notepad++. It looks a little better compared to the previous one. I believe that it'd make a little easier for others.

Do you know of any free online latex viewer and editor? I found this https://latexbase.com/ which isn't really working for me. Thanks.

##\Delta P =\frac{8 \mu L Q}{\pi R {\small\fbox{2074}} }##

##L## is the length of pipe, ##1## ##k m##

##\mu ## is the dynamic viscosity, ##8.90 \times 10^{ -4}## ##P a##{\textperiodcentered}##s##

##Q## is the volumetric flow rate, ##2 m^{3}/s##

##R## is the pipe radius, ##0.2 m##

##\Delta P =\frac{8 \mu L Q}{\pi R {\small\fbox{2074}} } =\frac{8 \ast 8.90 \times 10^{ -4} \ast 997.6 \ast 2}{\pi \ast 0.2^{4}} =\frac{8878.\,6}{\pi } =2826## ##P a##

Are you actually writing the LaTeX, or is Scientific Workplace generating it? Because some of your LaTeX is simply incorrect. \textperiodcentered should not appear in mathmode. The correct command is much simpler: \cdot. Also, I'm not sure where \small\fbox{2074} came from. From the image you shared earlier, it looks like you just want to raise R to the fourth power, which should just be R^4.

You need to be using the commands from the amsmath package, as that is standard, and what is implemented (mostly) on PF.

Likes PainterGuy and stoomart
Hey, PainterGuy!
I don't really have anything useful to contribute regarding your question, but I just wanted to touch base as a fellow SWP 5.5 user. I use it all the time, for almost everything I write which is all day almost every day. It is great software, and the support services are great as well.

Likes PainterGuy
Ben Niehoff said:
Are you actually writing the LaTeX, or is Scientific Workplace generating it? Because some of your LaTeX is simply incorrect. \textperiodcentered should not appear in mathmode. The correct command is much simpler: \cdot. Also, I'm not sure where \small\fbox{2074} came from. From the image you shared earlier, it looks like you just want to raise R to the fourth power, which should just be R^4.

Thank you.

It was generated by SW 6.

Hi,

Whenever I try to quote a post which uses latex, the quoted post doesn't compile the code. For example, I tried to quote some parts of this post here but it doesn't work.

Could you please help me to resolve this issue?

Thank you!

PainterGuy said:
Could you please help me to resolve this issue?
highlight-to-quote won't copy the latex because there is underlying code the browser doesn't pickup. You need to click the "reply" link at the end of a post.

Likes SammyS and PainterGuy

What is Share Latex Code Easily?

Share Latex Code Easily is a platform that allows users to easily share their latex code with others, making it easier to collaborate on projects and documents.

How can I share my latex code with others?

To share your latex code, simply copy and paste it into the Share Latex Code Easily platform and generate a link that you can share with others. They will be able to view and edit your code using the platform.

Can I collaborate with others on my latex code using Share Latex Code Easily?

Yes, Share Latex Code Easily allows for collaboration on latex code. You can invite others to view and edit your code, and you can also work together in real-time.

Are there any tips or tricks for using Share Latex Code Easily?

Yes, there are several tips and tricks for using Share Latex Code Easily effectively. These include using version control, commenting and annotating your code, and utilizing the built-in templates and examples.

Is Share Latex Code Easily free to use?

Yes, Share Latex Code Easily is completely free to use. However, there may be premium features available for a fee, depending on your needs and usage.