rootone said:
Meh, So he got a bit flirty, he didn't rape anyone, Feynman and Einstein also had such comments made about them. Are nerds supposed to totally asexual?
That was not flirty - it was close to rape:
Suddenly, he lifted her by the arms and pushed her onto the bed beneath him, forcibly kissing her and trying to pull down the crotch of her tights. Hensley said she struggled to push him off. When he pulled out a condom, Hensley said, she got out from under him, said “I have to go,” and rushed out of the room.
He assaulted her - obviously illegal.
Feynman used to do things like not buy women drinks or respond to their overtures for attention - it's detailed in his book - Surely You Are Joking Mr Feynman. All perfectly legitimate, if not what I would call polite, ways to treat people. This was to upset the plan they had of getting men to buy them drinks etc and be nice to them which was the usual rules of the 'game'. He was told by a barman that hardly ever actually works if your goal is to get intimate. It's not sexual harassment - although I would not do it.
In his younger days Einstein had women throwing themselves at him, he did not have to resort to 'tricks'. As he aged Einstein was more forthright - he would invite women over - open the door in his dressing gown and at the appropriate time let it slip off. If they responded - well good - if they didn't - there were more fish in the sea. Again not what I would do. That may have in fact skirted illegality - I do not know enough about the law - but was not assault.
Harvey Wiensten had a woman he groped, which again is assault and obviously illegal, wired up to catch him in the act. She complained about groping her - he never admitted it, instead kept inviting her into his room to discuss it. That too was pretty yucky - I again would not do it - but inviting a woman to your room to discuss things is not illegal even though in this context is rather 'off' - and when the tape was played everyone that heard it was - well disgusted for want of a better word. They got him on other stuff though.
We have to differentiate impolite/off behavior from things like groping, molestation etc that are, obviously and correctly illegal. There is a grey area in the middle like what Einstein did I am not sure about the legality of - I will let lawyers worry about that one. But simple impolite/off behavior like what Feynman did is within the bounds of a free society.
Thanks
Bill