1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent expansion for a complex function with 3 singularites

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys,

So I need a bit of help with this question:

Find three Laurent expansions around the origin, valid in three regions you should specify, for the function
    [itex]f(z)=\frac{30}{(1+z)(z-2)(3+z)}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know of...just binomial expansion

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so what I did was first specify the regions. Not sure if they are right though, although I think they are:

Region 1: [itex]-1<|z|<2[/itex]
    Region 2: [itex]-3<|z|<-1[/itex]
    Region 3: [itex]|z|>2[/itex]

Then I split f(z) into partial fractions:
    [itex]f(z)=\frac{2}{z-2}+\frac{3}{3+z}-\frac{5}{1+z}[/itex]

Then I expanded for the region |z|>2, using the first term of the partial fractions (ignoring the other ones...right?) and I got

[itex]f(z)_{z>2}=\Sigma_{n=1}^{\infty}(\frac{2}{z})^{n}[/itex]

So now the problem is... first of all I dont know if that's right. Even if it is, I have no idea how to expand for the other regions...for example, say I wanted to do region 2...I dont even know where to start, do I first expand for -3<|z|, then |z|<-1 and add them...or what?

Really need some help here guys! the fate of the universe hinges on this unfortunate question sheet!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2
    Let's start with the most obvious one: the regular Taylor series. Can you calculate it, and for what values of z does it converge?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted